Social Networking & Privacy
- How to Update Your Facebook Privacy Settings, HowStuffWorks.com, Oct. 2011
- 5 Ways to Control Your Facebook Privacy, Social Media Examiner, Oct. 2011
- 20 Facebook Privacy Settings Tips, Techradar.com, Feb. 2011
- Guide to Privacy with Facebook Video Calling, July 11, 2011
- Learn about Facebook's Data Use Policy.and view interactive tools and other resources.
- Learn more about Facebook's Places
- A Pew Internet & American Life Project study on reputation management and social media shows 71% of Young Adults Change Online Privacy Settings, May 2010
- Collegiate Nation, is a social network designed for students to enable networking but maximize privacy.
- Understanding Mobile Apps, OnGuardOnline. gov
- Teens and Mobile Phones, Pew Internet & American Life Project report, April 2010
Location-Based Services & Privacy
- Geolocation 101: How it Works, the Apps, and Your Privacy, PC World, March 2010
- 5 Tips to Retain Privacy on Foursquare, PC World, Aug. 2010
- Foursquare Security Concern Addressed: Social Network Provides Privacy Option, SearchEngineJournal.com, Sept. 2011
Sexting & Sextortion
- Planned Parenthood's Sexting, the Internet and Your Privacy - What You Need to Know, includes several PSAs
- Sexting messages, images grows popular among college students, UWire, Oct. 2011.
- 4 out of 5 College Kids Sext, TIME, July 2011.
- Be aware of sextortion, a crime in which Internet predators catch victims in embarrassing situations online and threaten to expose them unless they create sexually explicit photos or videos for them.
- The Workplace Privacy Data Management & Security Report outlines the legal ramifications of sexting.
- Understand the Social Media Revolution and protect your personal information from Socialnomics.net
- The ACLU's satirical video illustrates how new technologies and weak privacy laws could result in access to and use of personal information even in the most mundane of contexts - the pizza delivery.
- OnGuardOnline.gov has a library of videos and tutorials
- The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada offers a brief video regarding privacy and the business model of social networking sites on its social networking page.
- Think Time: How Does Cyberbullying Affect You? by My Secure CyberSpace. Cyberbullying involves respecting your own privacy and that of others.
- Learn to STOP. THINK. CONNECT. before you go online with these PSAs from Microsoft and STOP. THINK. CONNECT.Interactive Sites and Quizzes for Younger Teens
- Netsmartz for teens
Smart Privacy Practices Guides
- "private i: your ultimate privacy survival guide," offered by the Office of the Privacy Commissioner for Australia. The magazine covers young people's privacy rights in various situations and offers advice about smart privacy practices for social networking sites, shopping online, ID theft prevention, and more.
Smart Privacy Practices Websites
- It's Your Privacy. Don't Ignore It. campaign, Privacy Victoria, Office of the Victorian Privacy Commissioner, Australia
- Connect Safely (guidance offered in English and Spanish)
Articles and Books for Older Teens & Adults
- Lol . . .OMG! What Every Student Needs to Know about Online Reputation Management, Digital Citizenship and Cyberbyllying by Matt Ivester, founder of Juicycampus.com, 2011
- Born Digital: Understanding the First Generation of Digital Natives, by John Palfrey and Urs Gasser
- Facebook Privacy Settings: Who Cares? by Danah Boyd and Eszter Hargittai, August 2010
- How Different are Young Adults from Older Adults When It Comes to Information Privacy Attitudes and Policies?, Social Science Research Network, April 14, 2010 - Drawing on a survey of Internet using Americans, the authors conclude that that young-adult Americans have an aspiration for increased privacy even while they participate in an online reality that is optimized to increase their revelation of personal data.
- "Do Social Networks Bring the End of Privacy?" by Daniel J. Solove, Scientific American, August 2008 in Society & Policy
- 24 Hours Without Privacy by Danny Dover, a consultant with SEOmoz.org
- Timeline: Privacy and the Law in the United States, NPR interactive guide, November 2011.