Faculty Development Online Course
As part of Palm Beach State College's efforts to improve student learning, an online faculty development course has been developed. This web page provides all the information needed about this course, including who is required to participate, information on registration and completion of the course, and compensation for participants required to participate. Please carefully review this web page. If you prefer to have a printable guide with detailed screen shots, please download the guide in PDF format (link below).
The Faculty Development Course is taken completely online through the Blackboard Course Management system. Any Windows or Mac computer should be able to access to course site. You may use your own computer at home, or you may use a computer in one of the College's computer labs, or in the Professional Teaching and Learning Centers.
If you have never taken a class online, this is also your opportunity to learn about online learning. It is understood that faculty required to take this class will start at different levels of readiness for distance learning. These web pages are designed to make this process as simple as possible, and provide you the flexibility of taking the course at a place and time that best suits your schedule. Once you have signed on to the Blackboard system, you will find many tools and documents to help you navigate through Blackboard. You may find that online learning is very effective and convenient, and decide to pursue teaching online.
Who Must Participate?
All adjunct faculty currently employed by Palm Beach State College, or adjunct faculty hired in subsequent terms. The adjunct faculty who are assigned as primary instructors on a credit, college preparatory or PSAV class must participate. If you are not sure if you need to participate, please email Clarisse May at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Teaching Semester(s)||Current Term Opening Date:||Need to Complete Course by:|
|Spring 2018 new adjuncts||February 1, 2018||April 16, 2018|
STEPS TO PARTICIPATE IN THE ONLINE COURSE
Step 1 - Register in the Online Course
1. Click on the following link to use the online tool for course registration:
This link requires a valid Palm Beach State College user ID and password. This is the same User ID and password that you use to access email and EmployeeWeb. If you are using a home computer or on campus, your userID and password should suffice.
This part of the registration process alerts Academic Services to add you to the Blackboard Course Management System. You will receive a confirmation email from your course moderator once you have been activated in the Blackboard system, typically within 24 business hours.
2. Once you have been notified by your course moderator that you have been provided access to the Blackboard system, you may proceed to Blackboard.
Step 2 - Access the Blackboard Website
1. Once you have been notified that you have been registered in a class, please access the Palm Beach State Blackboard web site at https://palmbeachstate.blackboard.com.
2. Click on the "Log in" button and use the same user-ID and password that you use for accessing your College email and EmployeeWeb system. If you do not know or have forgotten your user-id or password, please contact the Palm Beach State College Service Desk Center at 561-868-3100 or help.palmbeachstate.edu. In this case, you need only use your user ID and password with no @pbcc.edu at the end of the username.
3. On the Course List Screen, you will see a course entitled "Faculty and Instructor Development - (current term)" -click on that link.
4. You now should be within the Blackboard course.
Step 3 - Participate in the Online Course
1. The online faculty development course is divided into learning modules. Click on the Learning Modules bar on the left side of the computer screen. Each course is moderated by an Academic Affairs staff member, who can answer any questions you may have through the course's built-in email system. The staff member will also monitor your completion of the needed assignments within the course.
2. You will see that the course is divided into four Units. You should start with the Course Orientation and Overview item, which will provide you with an overview on taking courses online and navigating the course. If you are new to online learning through Blackboard, you may also want to view the Blackboard Tutorials provided in the course.
3. Once you have completed the Course Orientation, You may proceed to Unit 1, which provides information about Palm Beach State College, its programs and students.
4. As you work through the units, there are specific assignments and activities that you will need to complete. The syllabus is available within the course, or you may download it by clicking here.
Step 4 - Complete the Course
1. Once you have been placed within a course, you have until April 16, 2018 to complete the course at your own pace during the Spring Term.
2. Once you have finished all assignments, you will receive an email confirming your completion of the course and if eligible for payment, the completion will be sent to Human Resources and Payroll for payment processing.
Questions? Please email Clarisse May at email@example.com