Palm Beach State Collegiate High School (CHS), a new school choice option, is being planned and designed for you!
- Rigorous academic instruction by top faculty
- Career guidance and academic counseling
- Gateway courses for STEM fields
Participating high school seniors may complete high school graduation and the first
year of associate degree requirements all in the same year!
Through specially designed classes and activities, CHS students may enroll as full-time college students at Palm Beach State College’s Palm Beach Gardens campus – and earn 30 or more semester hours of college credit - in small classes with NO tuition, fees, or costs for textbooks!
Join a STEM Learning Community
- Learn from outstanding faculty committed to making your first college experience successful.
- This carefully designed curriculum makes the critical connections between science
and math subjects.
- Forge strong links with students and the faculty. Connections are intellectual – understanding
the relations between classes – and social – making close friends. You will get to
know people in your major or area of interest and can form study groups with students
of similar interests and goals.
- Tutors, mentors, and a dedicated academic advisor will assist with a variety of academic
questions and issues.
- Participate in STEM field trips and meet scientists.
- Take math and science courses in a block schedule and enjoy pre-registration access. All classes may be taken with Honors component.
Two Tracks to Accelerate to College
Students may choose from two starting points to enroll in Palm Beach State Collegiate High School:
- Begin in Summer 2017 by participating in PBSC’s prestigious Math & Science Institute,
continuing with the CHS program in Fall 2017, OR
- Begin in Fall 2017 as a Palm Beach County Choice program.
The School District of Palm Beach County will open the Choice program lottery on November 1, 2016. Applications must be submitted by January 29, 2017.
MSI participants select 3-8 semester hours of Honors courses in Biotechnology, Environmental Science, Physics, Anatomy & Physiology, or Mathematics.
MSI participants will then join students entering the program in Fall 2017, taking at a minimum the CHS courses, scheduled between 8 a.m. and 1:45 p.m. Your 30 semester hours of credit will be in mathematics and science courses offered at the Palm Beach Gardens campus.
What to Expect
Important: CHS students will be college students and expected to perform accordingly. High school procedures will not be followed in the college classes, and college instructors follow their own grading and attendance procedures. Instructors do not send progress reports and other parental notifications home. Students must be mature enough to motivate themselves to be successful in an adult environment. Classes and labs are held at the Palm Beach Gardens campus.
CHS students remain enrolled as seniors at their home high school where they may participate in high school extracurricular activities while enjoying the rigors of college academics. As full-time Palm Beach State College students, CHS students also may participate in all campus activities, workshops and events.
CHS is open to high school seniors who
- have an unweighted high school GPA of at least 3.20;
- meet one of the following test scores:
SAT critical reading score of 440 or higher and math score of 450 or higher (pre 3/1/2016) or 24 Reading, 25 Writing and 24.5 Math (post 3/1/2016)
ACT Math score of 20 and higher, English score of 17 or higher, and Reading score of 19 or higher;
- have completed all requirements for high school graduation other than those which can be satisfied by PBSC courses. To be eligible for honors credit, students must also meet eligibility requirements of the Palm Beach State College Honors Program.
For further information, contact your high school guidance counselor or:
Dr. Robert Van Der Velde, Associate Dean
Palm Beach State College
3160 PGA Blvd.
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410