After taking the self-assessment quiz:
Is Distance Learning Right for You
and reviewing some additional
ou have determined this is an area where you KNOW you can be successful and need to know how to get started.
Already a student at Palm Beach State: you will register for online classes just like any other classes.
Have you activated your Palm Beach State e-mail account?
The College uses e-mail as an official means of communication with students. Students must check their e-mail address frequently in order to ensure they obtain critical information and assignments.
I am now registered for online classes. How do I begin? Here are some easy steps:
- Verify your basic computer competencies
Verify your computer is ready for Blackboard by using our online Browser Check tool.
Read your professor's course syllabus - Just enter your professor's name.
- Purchase your textbooks and any other required materials.
Go to class:
Access Dates - first day of class is the start date for all paid registrations.
- Logon to the class site as soon as access is available to review materials.
- Understand the course requirements/ expectations prior to the first day of class.
- Complete the online orientation/ other requirements by professor's deadline.
- Become involved in the virtual classroom and stay engaged.
- What resources are available to me as an online student?
- Contact Student Services as often as necessary!
Library services are available providing many valuable materials for all students.
- Tutoring for all DL students: Look for the online link to Smarthinking on your course web sites. On-campus tutoring is also available when time permits travel to the campus locations.
- Turnitin plagiarism detection software is available to online students as an important resource. Look for the link within your course web sites.
- Need more information about the college: Student Handbook
- Ask for help when needed.
Who to call for help when students have questions or need assistance?
- For general questions, email Distance Learning
- For Blackboard questions,
- For course curriculum questions:
- Students will contact their individual instructor for course content issues.