Students enrolled in EDF2005 Introduction to The Teaching Profession and
EDF2085 Introduction to Diversity for Educators are required to complete 15 hours of Field Observation (FO) for each course. Students enrolled in EPI0950 Teaching Methods Practicum are required to complete 30 hours of practicum.
The purpose of Field Observation (FO) is to provide meaningful learning experiences for pre-service educators in accordance with state mandated guidelines for teacher preparation. Through Field Observation, students should have an opportunity to:
- Observe best practices and techniques for effective classroom management
- Connect theory with practice
- Obtain assistance in career decisions
- Develop personal skills and values
Students can complete their field observation through a variety of ways. Public school, charter school, and private school settings are available, as well as placement opportunities in the surrounding counties. Students may select the venue that works the best for them.
For the complete Field Observation Process please visit: www.palmbeachstate.edu/Field-Observation-Process. See below for Field Observation term updates, badge information, forms and SDPBC websites.
If you have questions about the field observation assignment requirements, please consult with your professor. Questions about the observation placement process should be directed to Cyndi C. Demitruk. Questions about the Educator Preparation Institute (EPI), please contact Dr. Karline S. Prophete. The process requires all students enrolled in field experience and practicum courses to complete the Field Observation Online Placement Request.
IMPORTANT - SUMMER 20183 TERM UPDATES:
- The Palm Beach County School District is not placing students in public school classrooms this summer. Since the PBSC Summer Term starts May 14th, there will be no time for placements
in the remainder of the public school calendar. Students can select placement in charter
or private schools in Palm Beach, Martin or any of the surrounding counties (Hendry,
Broward), that offer summer school classes and are willing to place the student for
observation. Of course, acceptance of these placements are subject to your professor's
approval and require a completed and signed Permission Memo. Please attach the Permission Memo to your FO Online Placement Request* or send via
email to Cyndi C. Demitruk. The private/charter/out-of-county placements may require specific security identification
- All students should complete the FIELD OBSERVATION ONLINE PLACEMENT REQUEST* form to start the field observation placement process for all classes. The form has two parts: 1) Students log onto a secure site (palmbeachstate.edu/forms/FieldExperience*) and complete the online placement request form. For the summer term they should select "Other" as preference for placement location and complete all related screens to indicate a charter or private school placement opportunity. 2) Students can either attach the required signed permission memo (Private, Charter or Out-of-County schools) to the placement form prior to completing it OR log back into the online form at a later time to attach the Permission Memo.
- Access to the previous submitted online placement request form is accomplished by going to palmbeachstate.edu/Students. Log-in and click on "My Messages". Find the message related to your online request and click on the link at the bottom of the message. This will take you to the online request you have submitted and allow you to update it as needed, attach a file and resubmit the request. Instructions for the FO Online Placement Request form
STUDENTS PLANNING ON PLACEMENT IN THE FALL TERM 2019-1:
- For those of you who will be doing field observation (FO) in the Fall 2019-1 Term in the public schools, now is the time to renew your Level 2 Student Teacher badge for the 2018-2019 academic school year. The renewal period started April 1st and lasts until June 30th. It costs $6. After this period, the full fingerprinting and background check will need to be re-done at a cost of $99.
- Students and employees renewing their badges or needing to obtain the required Student Teacher Security badge, can go in person to the SDPBC Fingerprinting and Badge office. The office will issue you a new Student Teacher badge while you wait. The SDPBC Pre-Service Office requires all PBSC field observation and practicum students have a level 2 badge labeled "Student Teacher." So there are no delays with the request, a Level 2 Badge labeled with Student Teacher must be submitted for processing for classroom observation.
- Please be aware the SDPBC Pre-Service office will no longer accept Aftercare Counselor, Substitute, Vendor, Teacher, etc. badges for placement. All PBSC students must show a badge labeled "Student Teacher" (FO - Practicum Sample Badge) prior to starting the classroom observation. Students will not be able to start their observation/practicum until they have a Level 2 Student Teacher Badge.
- Current SDPBC employees who have had their badges for five years or more may pay an additional fee when renewing their badges to have their background check updated-total cost for the renewal is $25.25. Please note students need a badge labeled Student Teacher.
- The School District encourages students to do this update early in the renewal period rather than later since the Fingerprinting Office gets busy with new hires at the beginning of fall and can take longer to process your request. The renewal form is available at www.palmbeachschools.org/schoolpolice/BadgeRenewalForm2280.pdf.
- The SDPBC Fingerprinting Office allows online credit card payment for badge renewal and new badges in addition to taking money orders or checks. Go to www.palmbeachschools.org/schoolpolice/CreditCardPayments for directions to the process.
CHARTER/PRIVATE/OTHER COUNTY SCHOOL PLACEMENTS:
Charter, Private or Out-of-County (Hendry, Broward) School Placements are secured by the student and approved by the course professor before an observation schedule is arranged. The required Permission Memo needs to completed and signed by the school director/principal and added to the FO Online Placement Request Form or emailed to Cyndi Demitruk
PBSC CENTER FOR EARLY LEARNING (CEL) AT THE PB GARDENS CAMPUS:Those students needing to complete field observation hours for the summer 20183 term will be able to through May 31, 2018. These placements are secured as if a private or charter school with a Permission Memo, and the student will need to show their current PBSC Student ID. Please contact the CEL Director, Darlene Ponsch, by calling (561) 207-5226, regarding placement.
Students will need to obtain approval from their professor prior to proceeding with the placement. Please call the Center for Early Learning
for summer 20183 field observation hours (only available through May 31, 2018), as
the Center for Early Learning will be permanently closing on June 15, 2018.
DRESS CODE AND PROFESSIONAL BEHAVIOR: Please be aware that this is an activity that will reflect on Palm Beach State and on your future job prospects with the School District. As you know flip flops, short shorts, halter tops, revealing, dirty or baggy clothes are not appropriate dress nor is disrespectful talk or inappropriate actions for observation in any school venue. In the case of a problem, the school principal or director will contact me. I will contact your professor to determine the best course of action and then notify you of any decision that is made related to the incident.
Additionally, you should treat this activity professionally. If you schedule a time to be at the school and cannot make it, you should contact the school to let them know. You should also not show up unannounced. All your time at the school should be scheduled and cleared with your classroom teacher or the assistant principal.
In all cases, please communicate professionally with the School Placement contacts as this reflects on Palm Beach State College and your future employment as a teaching professional.
Field Observation Information, Forms, & FAQ'S:
For additional inquiries about FO, please contact Academic Services by visiting: FO Inquiries/Placement Concerns