What is the MSI?
The Math & Science Institute (MSI) is an academically rigorous program designed for students with a keen interest in pursuing degrees in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). The Institute consists of six college-credit courses:
- Environmental Science
- Anatomy & Physiology
Who should apply for the MSI?
The Math & Science Summer Institute is designed for honors-level and advanced high school and college students. The courses offered are fast paced college-level honors and advanced credit classes. Please read the FAQ's for specific expectations and requirements.
Math Science Institute Dates
Application deadline: April 3, 2017
Program dates: June 5 - August 2, 2017
State of Florida Chancellor's Best Practice Award Winner
Who will be teaching at the MSI?
Faculty for the institute are among the best, brightest and most innovative the College has to offer. The faculty provide an interdisciplinary approach to their teaching to ensure the curriculum is both relevant and rigorous. They collaborate to offer joint honors projects, speakers and field trips that help bring the disciplines together.
What makes the Math & Science Institute special?
Our state-of-the-art BioScience Technology Complex at Palm Beach State College in Palm Beach Gardens will be your learning laboratory. Institute classes and programs run eight weeks, meeting Monday through Thursday for four to five hours a day. Successfully complete the courses, and you will earn Palm Beach State Honors College credit for most courses! The program offers "extras" or value-added components that include:
- Honors projects
- Small class sizes (15 to 1 student/teacher ratio)
- Special Institute tutors/mentors
- Field trips and speakers
- Tours of high-profile companies and a close look at experiments conducted by industry researchers.
High school students who successfully complete the Institute with a 3.5 grade point average or higher will be eligible to receive a $3,000 scholarship ($750 per term for up to four terms). To receive and maintain the scholarship, students must:
- Enroll at PBSC full-time in a degree program in the fall following high school graduation.
- Enroll full-time (minimum 12 credit hours) each term the scholarship is received.
- Maintain a 3.5 cumulative grade point average.
- Successfully complete a minimum of 24 semester hours each academic year.
- The scholarships are awarded for the fall and spring terms only.
Student Testimonial Videos
Palm Beach State College at Palm Beach Gardens
3160 PGA Boulevard | 561-207-5325