The Educator Preparation Institute (EPI) at Palm Beach State College assists qualified professionals who have completed a non-education Bachelor’s degree and wish to become Florida certified teachers.
This program is a state-approved Alternative Certification Program that consists of 7 courses and 1 Teaching Methods Practicum and can be completed in as few as 2-3 semesters.
To complete the EPI courses and obtain a professional certification, students must pass all coursework and all FTCE tests.
Register for Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FTCE) testing.
Information Session Videos
Information Session Video - How to Apply
Information Session Video - EPI Program
EPI courses are hybrid courses and are offered only at the Lake Worth location.
EPI 0001 Classroom Management
EPI 0002 Instructional Strategies
EPI 0003 Educational Technology
EPI 0004 Teaching and Learning Process
EPI 0010 Foundation of Research-Based Practices in Reading
EPI 0020 Professional Foundations
EPI 0030 Diversity in the Classroom
EPI 0950 Teaching Methods Practicum (Field Observation info)
*EPI Course Substitutions - The Educator Preparation Institutes, of which the Palm Beach State College Educator Preparation Institute is a part, were based on a model of developing teacher competencies through the Florida Educators Accomplished Practices. The EPI courses are designed to deliver content and develop skills differently from traditional teacher preparation coursework. The standard operating procedures of substitution credits often seen at the college and university level do not apply.
First year and second year undergraduate traditional education courses are not considered for substitutions in the Educator Preparation Institute at Palm Beach State College, following the recommendations and guidelines of the Florida Department of Education. Substitution requests will not be granted for any of the EPI courses required in the Educator Preparation Institute.
It is the institution which is held accountable for the performance of the teachers it produces. Palm Beach State College's goal is to produce highly-effective teachers having the skills to successfully implement the Florida Educator Accomplished Practices.
Tuition and Financial Assistance
1. Complete the FAFSA. Contact person for EPI students: Haley Auxier
- Telephone: 561-868-3386
- Email Haley Auxier
- Office: CS 115
2. Pell Grants.
FAQs - What You Need To Know
Qualified professionals who have completed a non-education Bachelor's degree and wish to become Florida certified teachers.
These are the eligibility criteria all candidates must have to participate in the Educator Preparation Institute (EPI).
- Earned at least a Bachelor's degree with a minimum of a 2.5 GPA.
- Met the state subject area requirement either by degree, coursework or passing a Subject Area Examination (SAE) and obtained a valid Statement of Status of Eligibility (SOE).
- Taken and passed all four sections of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) General Knowledge Test (GKT).
You may then request an entrance packet from the Teacher Education office in order to schedule an entrance interview with a program staff member.
If you do not currently hold a valid SOE, you must view the required information session videos. The information session videos are FREE.
You may take courses here at Palm Beach State College to improve your GPA before applying to the program.
This program is a state-approved Alternative Certification Program that consists of 7 courses and 1 Teaching Methods Practicum course which can be completed in as few as 2-3 semesters.
The coursework includes:
- EPI 0001 Classroom Management
- EPI 0002 Instructional Strategies
- EPI 0003 Educational Technology
- EPI 0004 Teaching and Learning Process
- EPI 0010 Foundation of Research-Based Practices in Reading
- EPI 0020 Professional Foundations
- EPI 0030 Diversity in the Classroom
- EPI 0950 Teaching Methods Practicum*
*State-required work includes:
- One (1) Teaching Methods Practicum course of 30 hours,
- the construction of a competency-based portfolio, and
- a teaching demonstration.
Students are responsible for backing up and keeping track of all coursework.
The courses are offered 100% online.
We offer professional education courses, a competency demonstration system, and preparation review courses for the FTCE which include the General Knowledge Test (GKT), the Subject Area Exam (SAE) and the Professional Education Test (PEd).
Once you have viewed the required information session videos, please follow the steps below to submit your credit application to the College; all transcripts must be sent directly to the College. Before you apply to the Educator Preparation Institute, you must apply to the College.
Returning (readmission) students: All students that have not taken a course at the College within the last twelve months must complete an application for readmission.
Under Enrollment Intention, choose option #9 which includes the Educator Preparation Institute (F225/EPI). EPI is a restricted program and only students that meet the entrance criteria and completed their entrance interview may register for the EPI coursework.
Transferred credits from other colleges must be supported with official transcripts from each college and university listed on your application; these must be sent directly to the Admissions Office.
Foreign transcripts must be commercially evaluated course-by-course, including a grade point average (GPA).
*Florida Residency establishes the in-state tuition rate for coursework at the College. Present a Florida driver's license and one of the following at the time of application or readmission: vehicle registration, and/or voter's card that verify your Florida residency for the last 12 months, or full-time school district employment letter from principal on school letterhead.
2. Apply to the Educator Preparation Institute
In order to determine your eligibility and admission to the Educator Preparation Institute, please submit the documents listed below to the EPI office by mail or in person. Once the packet has been reviewed and approved, you will be contacted to schedule your entrance interview. Please do not submit incomplete packets.
- EPI application
- Updated Resume
- Teaching philosophy and goals
- Valid SOE from FLDOE
- FTCE Score Report indicating your scores for the
- General Knowledge Test (GKT) all four sections (Entrance Requirement)
- Subject Area Exam (SAE) (if taken), and
- Professional Education Test (if taken)
- FEAPs Self-Assessment
- Valid Temporary Certificate (if you are currently hired by School District of Palm Beach County [SDPBC])
- Copies of college transcript(s) conferring your bachelor's degree and required GPA.
Application eligibility packets are due to the EPI Office no later than 2 weeks prior to the start of any term or sub-term to allow sufficient time to complete the College and EPI application review, entrance interview/orientation, and registration processes.
Should you have any questions, please contact our office at Teacher Education or call 561-868-3823.
Program completion and obtaining a professional certification require completing all items listed below.
- Complete all coursework, including Teaching Methods Practicum course.
- Pass the Subject Area Exam and the Professional Education Test.
- Pass the Teaching Demonstration.
- Submit the Portfolio for review and approval.
Once all requirements have been completed, you will be contacted to schedule your Exit Interview.
For more EPI information contact Teacher Education.