Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
The Candidate Physical Ability Test is a minimum requirement for the Fire Academy. The job of a Firefighter is one of the most physically demanding jobs, it requires a high level of cardiopulmonary endurance, muscular strength and muscular endurance. The CPAT consists of eight critical physical tasks that simulate actual job duties on the fire ground. They are: Stair Climb, Hose Drag, Equipment Carry, Ladder Raise & Extension, Forcible Entry, Search, Rescue and Ceiling Breach & Pull.
The following information must be reviewed during the registration process:
CPAT Testing Location
Lake Worth campus of Palm Beach State College, 4200 Congress Ave., Lake Worth, FL 33461. Please report to Room SCD-156. Campus Map
The fee for a Practice Session is $43.50. The fee for a Testing Session is $143.50. Each session includes mandatory orientation. You must register by clicking on the link below.
PLEASE NOTE: Registration fees are non-refundable. Because of this, we urge you to be thorough while registering.
Registration closes 4 days prior to the Test or Practice date. You cannot reschedule your Test or Practice session during this four day period; however, you can reschedule your Test or Practice session if it is not closed. To reschedule, click on the CPAT Registration link below and then click on "How to Reschedule an Exam".
To Test or Practice, Participants Must:
- Have a Palm Beach State Student ID#. If you do not provide a PBSC Student ID#, you will not be able to participate in a Test or Practice Session and you will not receive a refund. If you have never attended PBSC, you can obtain a Student ID number by completing a no-charge Non-Credit Application at the following site PBSC Non-Credit Application.
- Register for the Test or Practice Session online via the registration link.
- The time you select for the Test or Practice Session will include mandatory orientation.
- Bring a valid picture ID.
- DRESS CODE: long pants, closed-toe shoes with a back, single shirt (no double clothing), no head wear, no jewelry other than wedding ring, no shorts.
- Students MUST arrive 15 minutes PRIOR to scheduled start time. Anyone arriving late will not be allowed to participate or test.