Student Learning Center - Boca Raton
The Student Learning Center offers tutoring services to support courses that a student
is taking at Palm Beach State College during the current semester. Tutoring is not
available for non-Palm Beach State College courses.
Fall & Spring Hours
Mon. - Thur. 8:00am - 8:00pm
Fri. 8:00am - 5:00pm
Sat. 10:00am - 3:00pm
Mon. - Thur. 8:00am - 8:00pm
Closed Fri., Sat. & Sun.
Location: BT 216
The SLC provides Palm Beach State College students with academic support for their classes. The Lab is equipped with approximately 70 (seventy) Desktop computers. Laptop computers (Windows and Mac) and I-pads are available for loan to students.
Individual Tutoring sessions are available for most computer courses and Online Library Searches.
- Computer Literacy course
- Laptop Loans
- General computer use
- Interactive Software
- Assistance with Internet research
- Computer sessions for non-computer classes
- PantherCard Card Management Center (for adding funds)
- Computer Lab on Facebook
- Microcomputer Applications
- Programming Languages
- Introduction to the Internet
- Webpage Design
- Network Technologies
- Basic Computer Literacy (for individual students not registered in a computer course)
Location: BT 207
The Boca Raton Writing Lab provides academic support to Palm Beach State College students who are enrolled in PBSC courses that require writing assignments. Students may receive assistance with their writing assignments at various stages of the process. The tutoring staff are available to assist students with the following:
- homework (grammar and composition exercises)
- tutoring on specific grammar and composition skills
- understanding the content of assigned readings
- planning and revising writing assignments
- research methods and documentation of sources
The Writing Lab also provides remediation services for all levels of EAP (English
for Academic Purposes) and Developmental English in the form of structured lab support
Writing Lab Resources
- Individualized tutoring
- Seminars and Review Sessions
- Grammar material
- Composition material
- Research material
- Lab and course textbooks
- Computer, Internet and printer access
- Library information
Schedule Your Appointment Online
The service most utilized by students is individualized tutoring. Students may schedule an appointment in advance at WCOnline or meet with a tutor on a walk-in basis.
Students are encouraged to make an appointment several days prior to the assignment deadline because revisions and follow-up appointments may be necessary. After the first appointment, students may schedule up to two follow-up appointments per assignment: one appointment a day. Appointments are 30 minutes long.
Preparation for Appointments
Prior to the appointment, student are encouraged to make a list of the specific questions that they would like answered during the appointment. Students should also consider the purpose of the appointment and the goals that they would like to accomplish in the allotted thirty minutes. When preparing for an appointment, students should bring the following:
- two printed copies of the typed assignment
- class notes
- assignment instructions
- professor's handouts
Seminars and Review Sessions
Every fall and spring term, the Writing Lab offers seminars and short review sessions on a variety of grammar and composition topics, such as punctuation, planning, organizing, and conducting research. All Palm Beach State College students are invited to attend.
Location: BT 207
The Student Learning Center (SLC) Math Lab offers academic support for Palm Beach State College students who require assistance with math, chemistry, physics, accounting, biology, anatomy and physiology, and Spanish. Students enrolled in PBSC courses are welcome to use all of the available resources of the Math Lab free of charge.
Math Lab Services
- Walk-in tutoring assistance for math courses (30-minute sessions)
- Tutoring appointments for math and science courses (30-minute sessions)
- Tutoring appointments for Spanish courses (30-minute sessions)
- Open study areas where students can work independently and raise their hands for assistance as needed
- Guidance with MyMathLab and MyStatLab assignments
- Math and science seminars
- Math Lab on Facebook
Scheduling Math/Science Tutoring Appointments
- Please either call (561) 862-4485 or stop by BT 207 to make a tutoring appointment for math or science courses.
- Please be on time for your appointment; otherwise, after five minutes, you will lose the appointment slot, be considered a walk-in, and be assigned to the next available tutor.
- Students may make one half-hour appointment per subject, per day with a maximum of two appointments a day.
- If students need help in more than two subjects on a given day, the Lab can accommodate them on a walk-in basis, depending on tutor availability.
- If a student is studying the same subject with other students, they may get tutoring as a group for one hour.
- No appointments will be made during final exam week. Due to an increased demand for tutors that week, tutoring will be available on a walk-in basis only.
Math Review Seminars and Final Exam Reviews
|MAT0022 Final Exam Review||12/11||1-2pm||CA108||Gary|
|MAT0022 Final Exam Review||12/11||5-6pm||BT148||Juana|
|MAT0022 Final Exam Review||12/12||4:30-5:30pm||BT130||Steve|
|MAT0022 Final Exam Review||12/13||6-7pm||CA109||Steve|
|MAT0022 Final Exam Review||12/14||4-5pm||BT130||Juana|
|MAT0022 Final Exam Review||12/15||1-2pm||BT130||Dharshini|
|MAT1033 Final Exam Review||12/11||11am-12pm||CA103||Dharshini|
|MAT1033 Final Exam Review||12/11||3-4pm||CB202||Steve|
|MAT1033 Final Exam Review||12/12||6-7pm||CA206||Juana|
|MAT1033 Final Exam Review||12/13||11am-12pm||CA103||Gary|
|MAT1033 Final Exam Review||12/13||4:30-5:30pm||CA103||Juana|
|MAT1033 Final Exam Review||12/14||1-2pm||CA101||Steve|
|MAT1033 Final Exam Review||12/14||6-7pm||CA204||Juana|
|MAT1033 Final Exam Review||12/15||11am-12pm||CA102||Dharshini|
- Q. I have a test in a few hours, and I don't know the material. Can a tutor teach
it to me?
A. You should come prepared prior to seeing a tutor. This means attending class or catching up on a missed lecture by reading the book and/or watching taped lectures. Tutors don't teach. However, within a 30-minute tutoring session, tutors can assist you with the course concepts you have trouble understanding.
- Q. I have a take-home test/quiz that my instructor has given me. Can a tutor help
me with it?
A. Tutors do not help students with problems given on a take-home test, quiz, extra-credit or graded assignment, unless special permission is given by the instructor. Tutors can help with a similar problem found by you in your textbook.
- Q. What if I forget/lose my PantherCard? Will I still be able to enter the Math Lab
A. Based on the circumstances, students may be allowed one pass per semester if they do not have their PantherCards; after that, the student will not be allowed to enter the lab without the PantherCard ID.
- Q. Can I talk on my cellphone in the Math Lab?
A. Talking on your cellphone is not permitted inside the Math Lab.
- Q. Can I bring food and drinks into the Math Lab? Food and drinks are not allowed
in the Math Lab.
A. Only water in a closed container is allowed.
- Q. Can I bring a non-Palm Beach State College student with me to the Math Lab?
A. Only currently enrolled Palm Beach State College students are allowed to use the Math Lab services. Non-Palm Beach State College students (children and adults) are not permitted in the Math Lab, even if accompanied by a Palm Beach State College student.
- Q. If I don't have my textbook with me, is it possible to borrow a textbook from the
A. Math textbooks and solution manuals can be checked out by tutors only to be used with students during tutoring sessions. Textbooks and solution manuals are not checked out directly to students.
Location: BT 207
The Boca Raton Reading Lab provides reading improvement strategies and assistance for all Palm Beach State College students. Staff are available to provide individual tutoring. In addition, review seminars and a variety of academic resources are offered to help students improve their reading skills. The Reading Lab is designed to help students become better readers and critical thinkers and to achieve academic success across the curriculum.
Reading Lab Resources
- Reading improvement strategies
- Supplemental handouts
- Academic references
- Lab and course textbooks
- Style guides
- Lending Library
Schedule an Appointment Online
For students who prefer one-on-one assistance, the Reading Lab staff is available to work with students on an individual basis. The staff can help with reading skills across disciplines. Each individual tutoring appointment is 30 minutes, and to schedule an appointment, students should visit WCOnline, call 561-862-4359, or stop by the lab.
Reading Review Seminars
The Reading Lab offers seminars on various reading skills for students in developmental and EAP reading courses. The seminars address a variety of topics, including vocabulary in context, main idea, and valid arguments. In addition, the Reading Lab offers Critical Reading Seminars for students who are looking to improve their reading comprehension in such areas as annotating and summarizing. Seminars are offered regularly during the fall and spring semesters.
- Q. Where is the Reading Lab?
A. The Reading Lab is located in the Student Learning Center in the Boca Tech (BT) Building, Room BT 207.
- Q. When is the Reading Lab Open?
A. Fall & Spring: M-R 8am-8pm; Fri 8am-5pm; Sat. 10am-3pm Summer: M-R 8am-8pm
- Q. What kind of help can I receive for reading?
A. Reading tutors can help with all reading assignments in any class, from guiding students through reading challenging passages to answering questions on specific reading skills.
- Q. What kinds of reading resources are available to students?
A. The Reading Lab offers the following resources: textbooks, dictionaries and thesauri, helpful handouts and tip sheets, supplemental practices.
- Q. What should I bring to the lab?
A. Students should bring a copy of the assignment they are working on so that the tutors can provide effective feedback and guidance.
- Q. If I am in a reading course, how many quizzes am I able to take per day?
A. Students are permitted to take one quiz per day. Make sure to arrive at least a half hour before the closing to have adequate time to take the quiz. The quiz is complete once a student receives a score of 70% or higher.
- Q. Does the Reading Lab help with TABE?
A. If students are enrolled in the TABE Reading Remediation Course, they are given structured lab work and personalized tutoring in the SLC. Call 561-862-4492 for TABE reading information.
- Q. Do I need to make an appointment?
A. Students who need help with reading passages or need guidance with an assignment are encouraged to make an appointment. Students do not need appointments for quick questions or to complete lab work.
Location: BT 207
The Writing, Reading & Math Labs offer a series of short-term courses with a lab component for Post Secondary Adult Vocational (PSAV) students who wish to remediate for all or part of the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE). The labs offers personalized instruction with learning specialists and tutors. Computer programs and additional learning materials are available for the students.
Registering for a TABE Course
Before registering for any TABE remediation course, students should first meet with
an advisor to discuss the entry requirements for the courses and then visit the SLC
for a course schedule and further information. There is a $30 fee for each TABE remediation
course. A required workbook for each course is available in the bookstore.
Boca Raton TABE Remediation Contacts
Writing: Marc Fedderman 561-862-4492
Math: Ewa Neginsky 561-862-4888
Reading: Vacant 561-862- 4492
Location: BT 207
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a program of peer-assisted weekly study sessions that target difficult academic courses. Student attendance at the study sessions is voluntary, and the sessions, which are free, are open to all students registered in the class.
SI leaders are students who have previously completed the targeted course with a high grade and have been recommended by the instructor to work as an SI leader. An SI leader attends the same class again, with the same instructor, and then facilitates twice-weekly study sessions for his/her classmates. Within each session, the SI leader emphasizes study skills and strategies, and the sessions benefit students of all skill levels. All study sessions are conducted outside of classroom time.
Research shows that SI attendees typically earn a half to one full letter grade higher in the targeted courses than non-attendees. SI is currently helping students to succeed at more than 1000 colleges around the world.
Location: Boca Tech Building (BT 207)
Contact: Lana Findley -- SI Coordinator
Online tutoring through Upswing is available to students in the following courses:
- College Algebra (MAC 1105) -- 8-week and 12-week
- Financial Accounting (ACG 2022)
- Intermediate Algebra (MAT 1033C) -- 8-week and 12-week
- Statistics (STA 2023)
- General Chemistry I (CHM1045)
- General Chemistry II (CHM1046)
- Organic Chemistry I (CHM2210)
- Organic Chemistry II (CHM2211)
- Vocational Preparatory Mathematics (VPI0200)
To register for a live Upswing tutoring session:
- Go to palmbeachstate.upswing.io
- Follow the login instructions to set up your profile
- Search for your class
- Schedule A Session with a Tutor
- Go to Room in your profile to start learning
Each session is up to 1 hour with a maximum of 3 hours per week.
Math Seminar Videos
- Factoring Trinomials - Basic
- Factoring Trinomials - Employing the GCF
- Factoring Trinomials - Employing the AC Method
- Factoring Trinomials - Full Length Seminar
Chemistry Videos: A Brief Introduction
- Atomic Structure
- Ions and Isotopes
- Ionic and Covalent Bonds
- The Mole
- Limiting Reactant
Important SLC Policies
- You must have your PantherCard on you to gain access to the Labs.
- Talking on your cell phone inside the Labs is prohibited.
- Food & Drinks are not permitted inside the Labs.
- Children are not permitted inside the Labs.
|SLC Staff - Boca Raton|
|Elizabeth Caulfield||SLC Manager||561-862-4495|
|Carol Morabito||Administrative Assistant II/Front Desk||561-862-4485|
|Audrey Lawrence||Computer Learning Specialist||Computer Lab||561-862-4493|
|Marc Fedderman||Writing Learning Specialist||Writing Lab||561-862-4492|
|Vacant||Science Learning Specialist||Math Lab||561-862-4488|
|Ewa Neginsky||Math Learning Specialist||Math Lab||561-862-4488|
|Tomas Pena||Math Learning Specialist||Math Lab||561-862-4489|
|Vacant||Reading & Communications Learning Specialist||Reading Lab||561-862-4491|
|Lana Findley||Supplemental Instruction Coordinator - SI Program||561-862-4551|
Dr. Sheri Goldstein Dean, Student Services 561-862-4310
Sherry Fletcher, Student Dev. Advisor II 561-862-4318