Skip to the main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates 4/6/2020
STUDENTS: Rental Textbooks returns | Summer Registration & Classes | COVID-19 Testing | FAQs | Remote Instruction | Contact us | Libraries are closed | Barriers to attending online classes | Online Tutoring | Free Resources
New Covid-19 Testing Center  Learn more

Passports & Visas for Non-U.S. Citizens

How long does it take to get a passport?

After you apply, you will receive your passport within 6-8 weeks. You can receive a passport within 2 weeks if you choose to have it expedited for additional fees. However, do keep in mind that expediting your passport is expensive and not recommended.

Where are the closest passport acceptance facilities?

Check with your local post office for days, hours, and appointment schedules. Some have passport photo availability. Walgreens offer passports photos at a reasonable cost. If you are going to China and other Asian locations, you may need a passport photo for the visa as well.

Passport applications

Passport Application Form DS-11 can be downloaded from the official passport website or picked up at a post office. If you download the form, please print single-sided sheets. Procrastinating when applying for your passport may cost you extra money and stress! You also need your passport in time to obtain your student visa (if required). So, keep yourself from stressing, save your money for more adventures while abroad, and obtain your passport and student visa early!

Passport fees

Passport fees include an application fee. This fee must be paid by a check or money order made payable to the US Department of State. A passport photo can be purchased at Walgreens and many other local vendors meeting the passport requirements for size and background. *Important!!! Passport expiration dates must exceed your return date by at least 6 months.

Keeping your passport safe

After you have received your passport, make several copies of it and other identification cards (such as your student visa). Give one set of these copies to family members and then take the other sets with you abroad. After you have arrived at your Study/Travel location, the international office of the host institution may need to see your passport and visa. If you are shopping or visit a bank, you may also need to show your passport and visa. Keep the remaining copies of your documents in a safe place in your suitcase.

What to do with your passport once abroad

After these initial contacts you may not need to carry around your passport. The second photocopy of your documents will serve as your backup in the unfortunate event of theft or if you should lose your passport. Some countries require you to keep your passport with you at all times. However, it is recommended you carry around a photocopy of your passport instead of the original.

Losing your passport

Losing your passport by accident or theft is serious! If you should lose your passport, you need to contact the nearest U.S. Consulate immediately. You can find a list of U.S. Embassies and Consulates around the world at It is also recommended you program the number of the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate into your local cell phone number should you need their assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week. When you travel, the IEC office will provide you with the names and contacts in your host country.


It is the sole responsibility of the student to apply for his/her own visa and provide all supplemental documents mandated by the Embassy or Consulate of his or her host country/countries. Unless the college has another agreed upon plan, we are not authorized to provide any visa advice and because visa policies vary widely from country to country. We cannot provide sound knowledge on the matter. We will inform PBSC students in all programs where a visa document is required. Plan ahead as this process can be cumbersome for some countries. Students without the proper visa may be denied boarding their flight out of the US. They may also be denied entry into the desired country abroad, or they may be deported back to the US from the host country after arrival. You will need your passport before you apply for your visa. After you have received your passport, we will advise you as to the next steps. However, it is the student's responsibility to secure a visa unless informed otherwise. If there is a vendor that the class will use, you must provide all of the documents requested in a timely manner. For visits to Asia, a visa included in the passport can take 30 days to process. Therefore, please plan ahead. Keep in mind, additional fees may be required to obtain your visa. Students can find facts by visiting the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs Website. Within the information for each country is contact information for its embassy or a link to entry requirements.

International (F-1) students

Students who are planning on participating on a PBSC faculty-led study abroad program, are advised to contact the Office of International Admission to discuss re-entry requirements and secure appropriate travel endorsement on their Certificate of Eligibility (I-20).  The Office of International Admission, which is located in Lake Worth, can be reached at (561) 868-3029 or

If you are a U.S. permanent resident

(You have a green card but not a U.S. passport). If you are still traveling as a non-U.S. citizen, so you must find out which rules will apply to you. You should also check with the U.S. Immigration Service concerning regulations for re-entry into the United States. This is particularly important if you are going to be outside the United States for more than one year. Keep the International Education Program Director (IEPD) informed of your communication with the countries where you are traveling by sending copies of this communication to the IEPD.

Print page