The Theatre Department here at Palm Beach State College is second to none.
It offers a wide array of courses and activities that are taught and run by teachers that are currently working in their field.
This provides each student an education vital to success in the theatre community because each student is taught up-to-date expectations and technique they can bring into the professional world and find success.
Where we perform
The Lake Worth campus of Palm Beach State College is the home of the Watson B. Duncan, III Theatre.
Having this beautiful facility accessible to students provides a unique and hands on education.
Now picture yourself standing on a large stage, lights and all eyes on you, professional-grade set behind you, and you take your bow.
That and so much more is what the Theatre Department at Palm Beach State can offer to you.
Our leadership: David Hyland
The Theatre program at Palm Beach State College is run by David Hyland, an actor and director with over 20 years of experience in his field.
He is IMBD credited with a MFA in acting from Ohio State University and has an extensive resume including a voice actor, stage actor, director, and owner of a improvisation group (MOD 27) and Take Heed Theatre company.
David Hyland is accompanied by a dynamic team of Professors that gives each student a theater education that prepares the students for any undergraduate program or entrance into the professional world of theatre.
The Theatre Department at Palm Beach State offers classes that provide a well-rounded theater education for its students:
- Acting 1 - TPP2100
- Acting 2 - TPP2111
- Movement for the Theatre - TPP2514
- Improvisation for Actors - TPP1120R
- Theatre Appreciation - THE1000
- Stagecraft - TPA1200
- Advanced Stagecraft - TPA1211
- Directing - TPP2300
- Playwriting - TPP1600
- Theatre for a Children’s Audience - THE2051
- Freeing the Actor’s Voice - TPP2700
And other hands on experiences!
Applying to the school is a quick and easy process. Just go to Admissions and get started today! Come join us in the Theatre Department here at Palm Beach State College.
Each school year, the Theatre Department at Palm Beach State College does two productions (one for each semester). The shows range from Classics like Oedipus and Romeo and Juliet to contemporary shows like Betty’s Summer Vacation and Dearly Departed.
Shows are held at the Duncan Theatre. Please visit the website for ticketing information.
- Acting: The First Six Lessons by Richard Boleslavsky
- Respect for Acting --OR-- A Challenge for the Actor by Uta Hagen
- The Theatre and its Double by Antonin Artaud
- The Empty Space by Peter Brook
- The Stanislavsky System by Sonia Moore
- Audition by Michael Shurtliff
- Theatre of the Oppressed by Augusto Boal
- Freeing the Natural Voice by Kristin Linklater
- Brecht on Theatre: The Development of an Aesthetic by Bertolt Brecht
- Sanford Meisner on Acting by Sanford Meisner
- Towards a Poor Theatre by Jerzy Grotowski
- Freeing Shakespeare’s Voice by Kristin Linklater
- A Dream of Passion: The Development of the Method by Lee Strasberg
- My Life in Art by Konstantin Stanislavsky
- The Essential Theatre by Oscar Gross Brockett
Follow the Theatre Department
Follow the Humanities Department