Skip to main content
< Back

Veterans Services



We are honored to welcome new and returning veterans who choose Palm Beach State College for their education and training needs. Our commitment is to reach out to all veterans and support their success, just as they have supported and served our nation. Need to meet with a staff member?

Moises Pena, VA Financial Aid Advisor    Phone: 561-868-3380

Violet Galloway, VA Service Officer    Phone: 561-868-3507



  • Marine Corps vet is new PBSC student trustee  Read news story.

  • The Lake Worth campus Veteran’s Club meets monthly to facilitate educational, recreational & employment opportunities for student veterans and for camaraderie.

  • Interested in Cybersecurity? Learn about scholarships, financial aid and more on the Cybersecurity webpage.


Education Benefits

The term GI Bill refers to any Department of Veterans Affairs education benefit earned by members of Active Duty, Selected Reserve and National Guard Armed Forces and their families. The benefit is designed to help service members and eligible veterans cover the costs associated with getting an education or training. The GI Bill has several programs and each is administrated differently - depending on a person's eligibility and duty status. Many veterans and active duty personnel can qualify for more than one Education Benefits program, including the:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill (chapter 33)
  • Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB, chapter 30 and chapter 1606)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP, chapter 1607)
  • Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)
  • Post Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance program (VEAP, chapter 32)

Depending on your individual circumstances, one of these programs may give you better benefits than the others. You should also determine any benefits to which you are entitled under Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E, chapter 31).

Education Benefit Payment Rates


Q & A: Applying for the GI BILL

How do I apply for the GI BILL?
Students must apply using the standard GI BILL forms. Forms can be downloaded via the web ( Students can also apply online using VONAPP or Veterans On-line Application. Submit your application online.

How long does the process take?
When applying for benefits, allow the VA 60-90 days for your application to be processed.

What form do I use?
If this is your first time applying for GI BILL benefits, complete Form 22-1990; for others (dependent/spouse) complete Form 22-5490 online . (Note: Printable forms are in pdf format, Adobe is required).

What other forms do I provide?
For all active duty students, you must attach a copy of your form “DD-214”. For non-active duty (reservists/guards) you must attach a copy of your “NOBE” Notice of Basic Eligibility. For all others (dependent’s proof of birth certificate or marriage certificate for spouse).

How do I check the status of my submitted application?
Call 1-888-442-4551 or 1-888-GIBILL-1.

When do I use form “22-1995” or “22-5495”?
A Form 22-1995 (for veterans) or Form 22- 5495 (for dependent/spouse) should be used if the student changes major/objective; transfers from another institution; or when the last enrollment has been over a year.

I want to use my benefits again this semester. What do I do?
Upon registration all VA students must complete a Veteran’s Certification Request (VCR) form and turn in to the Certifying Official. Failure to complete a VCR on time will cause a delay of payment.

Does the VA pay for my tuition and fees?
Yes. The VA pays tuition and fees for Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) and Vocational Rehab (Chapter 31) only. 

Is my program approved for benefits?
All degree programs are approved by the VA. For non-credit, certificate, and PSAV programs contact your school Certifying Official.

Do I get credit for courses I am taking that are not required for my major?
NO. The VA does not pay you for courses not required for your major.

Can I sign up for direct deposit?
Yes, you must attach a voided copy of your check. If application has been sent, call 1-888-442-4551.

How do I verify my enrollment and how often should I do it?
You must verify your enrollment at the end of each month. To verify enrollment by phone, call 1-877-823-2378, or on the web at

Can I apply for student financial aid while receiving VA benefits?
Yes. You can apply via the web by going to the federal website at FAFSA Online

How much money will I get each month?
Education benefit payment rates vary depending on your chapter.

Do I need to meet the standards of progress to qualify for VA benefits?
Yes, please review the SAP details below.


Forms and Links

GI BILL Website
Log onto the GI BILL website to read more about benefits. This is a useful website that every veteran who is applying for VA benefits should be familiar with. Please, take a moment to visit this website.

Form 22-1990
To be used by first time applicants only. To use this form, you must be a veteran who has served as either active duty, or reserve, or the national guards.

Form 22-1995
To be used by veterans in order to update benefits/files if not current.

Form 22-5490
To be used by dependents of veterans (spouse/child) when applying for benefits the first time. You may be asked for legitimate proof such as marriage certificate, or birth certificate, and veteran’s discharge form.

Form 22-5495
To be used by dependents (spouse/child) to update files if it’s not current.

Veteran's Certification Request
To be used by students every term in order to be certified for VA benefits. Veteran’s Certification Request form must be complete and turn in to school certifying official.

Deferment Form
To be used by students who are qualified for tuition deferment according to the terms and conditions.

Attendance Form
To be used by students who are enrolled in non-degree programs such as PSAV certificates, law enforcement, etc. You must turn in an attendance form every month for each class that you are enrolled in.

Form 22-1990e Application for Family Member to Use Transferred Benefits

Form 22-1990R Application for Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP)

Campus Certifying Officials
If you have questions regarding GI-BILL benefits, you can submit your questions via e-mail to your campus Certifying Official for faster response.

Please visit the GI BILL official website periodically for more updates.


Other Helpful Information

Veterans Education benefits are excellent resources for educational and career growth. Palm Beach State College is pleased to assist veterans and dependents in utilizing benefits to their best advantage, within the guidelines of the Department of Veterans Affairs. It's important to know the VA program(s) for which you are eligible, because some have unique application requirements:

Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill (Active Duty Veterans)
Chapter 1606 Selected Reserve
Chapter 32 VEAP (Veterans Educational Assistance Program)
Chapter 35 Dependent/Survivor’s Educational Assistance Program
Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation
Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill

How to start receiving your benefits at Palm Beach State:

If you are using your G.I. Bill, be sure to turn in your VA Certification Request as soon as you have finalized your class schedule for Spring. Submit the VA Certification Request to your home campus.

NOTE: Your enrollment must be certified by each campus on which you are taking classes.

To allow sufficient processing time, certification request forms should be received by the following priority dates:

SPRING TERM - NOVEMBER 15                SUMMER TERM - APRIL 15                 FALL TERM - JULY 15

Veterans receiving Post 9/11 educational benefits: Remember that you must be enrolled more than ½ time and take at least one class in a classroom setting for the full term to qualify for the housing allowance. Active duty members are not eligible for the BAH or the book stipend. Individuals eligible for a kicker will receive a lump sum at the beginning of each enrollment period.

Palm Beach State College has established the following standards of progress for all veterans or eligible persons receiving VA benefits to comply with Veterans Administration regulations:

  1. Complete academic records are maintained on each veteran who is certified as eligible for benefits under the public laws. The records must show continuous pursuit of a degree and the rate at which progress is being made. They include final grades in each subject for each term, record of withdrawal from any subject to include the last day of attendance for a course and record of enrollment in subjects from which there was a withdrawal.

  2. Complete academic records are maintained on previous college-level academic training, and these records indicate the amount of credit accepted that proportionately shortens the training period. The record is cumulative in that it shows the results of each term of enrollment, subjects taken and grades earned.

  3. Students receiving VA benefits should note that excessive absences would result in termination of benefits. A veteran or other eligible student will be subject to the attendance criteria covered in this catalog. PSAV students with absences totaling more than the equivalent of 10 percent of the total hours for the enrollment period will result in the student being terminated from receipt of VA benefits due to unsatisfactory attendance.

  4. Policies relative to standards of conduct and progress required of the student are enforced.  All students must adhere to the College Academic Standards of Progress found in the College Catalog:  PSAV students who fail to maintain progress are not permitted to continue enrollment in the program and would not, therefore, be certified as eligible to receive benefits.

  5. A notice of change in enrollment status will be sent to Veterans Administration when the student withdraws from a course during the term or changes status.

  6. PSAV students are expected to complete a program within the number of training hours approved by the State Approving Agency for Veterans Training. Likewise, the state requirement for Basic Skills must be met for the particular program. If at any point it is determined that a student cannot successfully complete the program within the approved number of hours, the student’s VA benefits will be terminated because of unsatisfactory progress.

  7. PSAV students at the end of any evaluation period who have not attained and maintained satisfactory progress (70 percent or above on written exams and passing or above on all skills and technical requirements) will be placed on academic probation for the next evaluation period. Should the student not attain and maintain satisfactory progress by the end of the probationary period (one evaluation period), the student’s VA benefits will be terminated due to unsatisfactory progress.

Note: It is the responsibility of the veteran to advise the Veterans Affairs Office of any changes in status, i.e., address, withdrawal from class, etc.

Belle Glade campus
Ruth Ann Guerra
1977 College Drive, Belle Glade, FL 33430

Boca Raton campus
Kamau Ellison
801 Palm Beach State College Drive, Boca Raton, FL 33431

Lake Worth campus
Moises Pena
4200 Congress Ave, Lake Worth, FL 33461

Palm Beach Gardens campus
Angel Camilo
3160 PGA Blvd, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410

Coordinator of Veteran Affairs
Matthew Watkins


Print page