Skip to main content

Palm Beach State College

College Catalog 2015-2016

Palm Beach State College

Financial Aid

Types of aid available include grants, scholarships, work-study programs and student loans. Grants are based upon financial need and do not have to be repaid. Scholarships do not have to be repaid and are based upon several criteria, including merit, talent and need. The work-study program allows students to earn money for their education through on- campus or community service jobs. Loans are available to parents and students and must be repaid.

Palm Beach State College does not participate in or certify any Alternative Loan Programs.

Please consult the College website for details on specific aid programs from federal, state and institutional sources.

Application for Financial Aid

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step in applying for all financial aid and is available online at Students need to complete a FAFSA each academic year. Completing the FAFSA correctly prevents delays in the financial aid application and notification process; the toll-free help line is 1-800-433-3243. The Financial Aid Office will use the results of the FAFSA to determine financial need and offer a financial aid award package.

Financial Aid “Priority Dates” are listed in the Financial Aid Office of each campus and online. Your financial aid file must be complete and received electronically by the Financial Aid Office by this date to be considered “on time” for the academic year. Applications received by this date will be given priority when awarding limited funds such as scholarships, grants and on-campus employment. If your FAFSA is selected for verification, it is not considered complete until all verification documents have been returned and reviewed by financial aid staff. Any corrections to the initial application may change and/or delay award eligibility. No funds will be awarded until the Financial Aid Office has completed its review of the information and verified the application; therefore, applicants should submit all requested documentation as soon as possible.

Note: The Financial Aid Office retains the right to request any additional documentation deemed necessary to complete the review or verification of an application.


  • Students must have a standard high school diploma or GED.
  • The student must be enrolled at the College as a degree-seeking or certificate-seeking student in an eligible program of study to receive a financial aid award. Only courses which apply to the student’s degree at the College may be used to determine enrollment status for federal and state aid programs.
  • Students can receive funding from only one school at a time; however, students may be eligible to have award amounts adjusted if they qualify for dual enrollment. See the campus Financial Aid Office for details.
  • Students who transfer to Palm Beach State College from any other school beyond high school must provide official transcripts from all schools attended, including high school. The transcripts must be evaluated by the College before financial aid eligibility can be determined.
  • Students in default on a federal loan are ineligible for federal and state financial aid.
  • Financial Aid will only pay for classes toward students’ program objective. Degree-seeking or certificate-seeking students should meet with an academic advisor or financial aid to verify if the courses which they register for are eligible for financial aid.
  • Students should be aware that federal law requires the federal Pell Grant funds to be prorated based on the number of credits taken, and the student financial aid budget also will be reduced accordingly. In addition, to participate in the student loan program, or to have a previous loan deferred, the student must take at least six credit hours. Finally, as always, eligibility for financial aid depends upon meeting Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).


  • Use PantherWeb regularly to monitor changes in your financial aid and registration status and to maintain your current address, phone numbers and other directory information.
  • Open and read all email from the College and other correspondence sent to your permanent address; respond promptly.
  • Apply for financial aid each year, and understand renewal requirements for all aid received, including the standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). For more detailed information on the SAP standards, visit
  • Complete all classes for which you are registered each term, and/or understand academic policies and dates relating to dropping courses or withdrawals; be responsible for any unpaid charges following the deduction of all financial aid funds, external payments or similar awards.

Financial Aid Disbursement

Disbursement of financial aid awards to students begins in September for the fall term, late January for the spring term, and June for the summer term. Awards are disbursed when the student has submitted all required information and meets all eligibility criteria, including the Standards of Academic Progress for Financial Aid recipients. Disbursements will continue throughout the semester for eligible students. If the total amount of aid disbursed for the term exceeds the cost of tuition, fees and books (if any), the student may receive a financial aid check for any residual credit balance. Direct deposit is available to all students. The signup form is available on PantherWeb,

Enrollment Status

Financial aid awards are subject to change depending on the student’s enrollment status at the time of disbursement; this excludes courses that are not yet in progress. For the purpose of awarding and adjusting financial aid, the following chart is used to determine the enrollment status for financial aid recipients. Most financial aid programs permit part-time enrollment status.

Status Credit Hours Required Clock Hours* Required
Full-time 12 or more 450 or more
Three-quarter time 9 to 11 338 to 449
Half-time 6 to 8 225 to 337
Less than half-time 1 to 5 37.5 to 224

* Clock hours are divided by 37.5 to obtain the equivalent credit hour value.

Financial Aid for Students with Disabilities

Students with disabilities are eligible to apply for any and all forms of financial assistance that are available through the College. The Office of Disability Support Services (DSS) has a limited number of scholarships for clients.

Students with documented disabilities may enroll in a less than full-time course load as an academic adjustment to accommodate their disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the regulations accompanying Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Students are encouraged to discuss full-time course load requirements with an academic advisor or student services counselor for their respective program. Additionally, the nature of the disability must warrant the adjustment. A financial aid counselor can determine how a reduced course load will affect their aid.

Gainful Employment

The College is required by federal law, 34 CFR Part 668, to provide information on certificate and diploma programs that prepare students for gainful employment. For more information and the programs affected by this law, visit, click on Gainful Employment Information.

Policy on Withdrawals

Financial aid recipients who withdraw from the College (all courses in a given term) or fail to earn a passing grade in at least one course may have to return/repay financial aid funds. Also, withdrawal affects the Standards of Academic Progress for financial aid recipients.

The amount of federal Title IV aid a student must repay is determined by the Federal Formula for Returns of Title IV Funds, as specified in Section 484B of the Higher Education Act. This act also specifies the order of return of the Title IV funds to the programs from which they were awarded. A copy of the complete policy is available on the College website.

Veteran Services

The College is state approved for veterans training. Veterans and eligible dependents who plan to attend under any of the various veterans’ training laws should go to the College’s Web page,, to apply for admission.

Veterans should note that required and/or core courses for some academic programs may be available only at a specified campus. However, the pertinent General Education courses may be taken at any campus. Please see the Veterans Services Web page for details on the various VA Benefits and application instructions.