Practical Nursing PSAV
Practical Nursing (5234) LIMITED ACCESS
Type of Award
PSAV - Post Secondary Adult Vocational Certificate
This PSAV program prepares graduates for employment as licensed practical nurses. The program includes but is not limited to theoretical instruction and clinical experience in: medical-surgical nursing, pharmacology and medication administration, geriatric and long term care nursing, and obstetrical and pediatric nursing.
Graduates are eligible to take the NCLEX-PN state board examination to become licensed practical nurses.
Clinical experiences are included as an integral part of this program.
This program is approved by the Florida Board of Nursing.
Program Learning Outcomes
For detailed information, visit www.palmbeachstate.edu/learningoutcomes/Program-Learning-Outcomes.
General Admission Requirements to the College
- Complete an Application for Admission, located at
- Submit an official high school or GED transcript and official college/university transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended. Refer to the Admission Procedures section of the college catalog for more information regarding transcripts.
Admission Requirements for Practical Nursing
In addition to the above General Admission requirements, student must meet the following eligibility criteria to be considered for selection to the program. (Meeting admission criteria does not guarantee acceptance into the program).
- Take the TABE exam if not exempt from TABE testing. To determine is you are exempt, please go to www.palmbeachstate.edu/academicservices/curriculum-and-programs
- Attend a mandatory Practical Nursing information session;
- Take the HESI (Health Education Systems Incorporated) Admission Assessment Exam. A cumulative score of 75 or higher is required;
- Submit a completed Practical Nursing program application, located on the program website, and pay the application fee by the deadline.
Successfully complete all of the courses and achieve the required test scores in the program. Achieve an 11th grade level or higher in math, reading and language on the TABE or qualify for TABE exemption.
1,350 Clock Hours
Full-time program: approximately 12 months
The program is offered at the Lake Worth campus.
For More Information
To see when the course is offered, click the course number. To see a course description, click the course title.
|Required Courses||Clock Hours: 1,350|
|HSC0003||Health Care Concepts||78|
|HSC0003L||Health Care Concepts Lab||12|
|HCP0121C||Nurse Aide & Orderly (Articulated)||75|
|PRN0061C||Concepts of Fundamentals of Nursing 1||195|
|PRN0062C||Concepts of Fundamentals of Nursing 2||200|
|PRN0063C||Concepts of Practical Nursing 1||295|
|PRN0069C||Concepts of Practical Nursing 2||295|
|PRN0064C||Transitions into Practical Nursing||200|
|Total Program Clock Hours: 1,350|
The Licensed Practical Nurse is qualified for employment in hospitals, long-term care facilities, rehabilitation medical offices or clinics and as a private care provider.
For more information about graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other related information, see www.palmbeachstate.edu/areasofstudy/GainfulEmployment.
Career Path Notes
An LPN is eligible for 11 credits towards the A.S. degree in Nursing.
For more information about employment opportunities including job outlook and salary information visit:
Occupational Outlook Handbook: http://www.bls.gov/oco/
O-Net Online: http://online.onetcenter.org/