Basic Automotive Service Technology PSAV (5463)
Type of Award
PSAV - Post Secondary Adult Vocational Certificate
This program is designed to prepare students for employment in a variety of occupations and careers found in the automotive service and repair industry. A combination of technical theory and practical hands-on instruction will provide students with the knowledge and skills required for entry level employment in this high wage field.
Coursework for the Basic Automotive Service Technology program prepares students for the Automotive Technician ASE (National Automotive Service Excellence ) certification exams in Engine Repair (A1), Steering and Suspension (A4), Brakes (A5), and Electrical/Electronic Systems (A6). For more information please refer to www.ASE.com.
Program coursework content also covers:
• Shop organization
• Environmental and safety practices
• Proper use of tools and equipment
• Applied math and science
• Employability skills
• Maintenance operations and shop facilities
• Proper and safe use of tools and diagnostic equipment.
The Basic Automotive Service Technology program is certified as a Master Training Program by the National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF) meeting national training standards in Automotive Service Excellence areas of certification: www.NATEF.org.
Program Learning Outcomes
For detailed information, visit www.palmbeachstate.edu/learningoutcomes/Program-Learning-Outcomes.
1. No high school diploma or GED is required.
2. Complete an Application for admission, located at www.palmbeachstate.edu/admissions/Admissions-Applications.aspx.
3. Take the TABE exam if not exempt from TABE testing. To determine if you are exempt, please go to www.palmbeachstate.edu/academicservices/curriculum-and-programs .
4. Send request for official high school transcripts, GED, or validated foreign equivalent to the Admissions Office.
5. Attend a program informational session or meet with the program advisor.
1. Pass the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) at the 10th level for mathematics and 9th level for language and reading, or qualify for TABE exemption.
2. Successfully complete all of the courses in the program.
3. All financial responsibilities must be satisfied.
The Basic Automotive Service Technology program is 1,050 hours long. The part-time program, offered in the evenings, is approximately 17 months long.
The program is offered at the Lake Worth campus.
For More Information
Eligio Marquez Jr., firstname.lastname@example.org, (561) 868-3542
To see when the course is offered, click the course number. To see a course description, click the course title.
|Required Courses||Clock Hours: 1,050|
|Group A Automotive Services Assistor|
|AER0014||Introduction to Automotive Services||300|
|Group B Automotive Brake System Technician|
|AER0599||Automotive Brake Systems||150|
|Group C Automotive Suspension and Steering Technician|
|AER0499||Automotive Steering and Suspension||150|
|Group D Automotive Electrical and Electronic Technician|
|AER0691||Automotive Electrical and Electronic Systems 1||150|
|AER0692||Automotive Electrical and Electronic Systems2||150|
|Group E Engine Repair Technician|
|AER0199||Automotive Engine Repair||150|
|Total Program Clock Hours: 1,050|
Upon completion of this program, students may seek employment as entry-level automotive technicians in dealerships, independent repair shops, or fleet maintenance facilities. Students may choose to enter jobs as technicians, service advisors, parts specialists, or entrepreneurs.
For more information about graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other related information,
Career Path Notes
This PSAV program provides instruction in four areas of automobile specialization.
Student competencies to exit the program for employment are established by the National
Automotive Technician Education Foundation (NATEF)
For more information about employment opportunities including job outlook and salary information visit:
Occupational Outlook Handbook: http://www.bls.gov/oco/
O-Net Online: http://online.onetcenter.org/