Students enrolled in EDF2005 Introduction to The Teaching Profession and EDF2085 Introduction to Diversity for Educators are required to complete 15 hours of Field Observation (FO) for each course. Students enrolled in EPI0950 Teaching Methods Practicum are required to complete 30 hours of practicum.
The purpose of Field Observation (FO) is to provide meaningful learning experiences for pre-service educators in accordance with state mandated guidelines for teacher preparation. Through Field Observation, students should have an opportunity to:
- Observe best practices and techniques for effective classroom management
- Connect theory with practice
- Obtain assistance in career decisions
- Develop personal skills and values
Students can complete their field observation through a variety of ways. Public school, charter school, and private school settings are available, as well as placement opportunities in the surrounding counties. Students may select the venue that works the best for them.
If you have questions about the field observation (FO) assignment requirements, please
consult with your professor. Questions about the observation placement process should
be directed to Cyndi C. Demitruk.
Students enrolled in the Teacher Certification Program in the Educator Preparation Institute (EPI), please contact Dr. Karline S. Prophete for details of the additional practicum placement requirements.
This process requires all students enrolled in field experience and practicum courses to complete the Field Observation Online Placement Request. For the complete Field Observation Process please go to www.palmbeachstate.edu/Field-Observation-Process. See below for Field Observation term updates, badge information, forms and SDPBC websites.
Spring 2020 (2020-2) Term Updates:
- Complete the NEW ONLINE PLACEMENT FORM to start the field observation placement process for all classes. The form has two parts: 1) Students log onto a secure site (www.palmbeachstate.edu/forms/FieldExperience) and complete the online placement request form for Palm Beach and Martin County public school placement or if they intend to select a charter, private or other county placement opportunity. 2) Students can either attach their Level 2 Security Badge (PBC public schools), Security Letter (MC public schools), or completed and signed permission memo (charter, private or all other course public schools to the placement form prior to completing it OR log back into the online form at a later time to attach the badge, letter or memo.
- Access to the previous submitted online placement form is accomplished by going to www.palmbeachstate.edu/Students. Log in and click on "My Messages". Find the message related to your online request and click on the link at the bottom of the message. This will take you to the online request you have submitted and allow you to update it as needed, attach a file and resubmit the request. Instructions for the online form.
- For students who do not work for the School District requesting public school placement, the full fingerprinting and background check must be done at a cost of $99 through the SDPBC Fingerprinting Office. The School District PBC Fingerprinting & Badge Office takes online credit card payments for obtaining a Level 2 Security badge. You must make this payment 24 hours before going in to get fingerprinted or submitting a badge renewal and you must bring your credit card payment receipt with you. (Students seeking Martin County Public School placements please go to Martin County FO Opportunities)
- Students who already work for the School District still need to go through the online placement form submission. These students can submit their existing Level 2 badge (not school ID - Example of correct badges) and the placement process can be initiated. Please keep in mind that the school you are placed with may ask for a proper "Student Teacher" badge rather than whatever badge you currently have. This can be obtained for $6 at the SDPBC Fingerprinting office.
- Field observation placement may be limited during the period of FSA Testing during spring term. Some schools do not allow access or limit student access to the school campus during the preparation period and test days. It is advisable to start the placement process as early as possible so that you can work with the assigned school contact to work around these blackout dates.
Field Observation Notes:
*You can access your original request and update it by going to www.palmbeachstate.edu/Students. Log in and click on "My Messages". Find the message related to your online request and click on the link at the bottom of the message. This will take you to the online request you have submitted and allow you to update it as needed, attach a file, and resubmit the request.
*Some of you are submitting public school employee or teacher or after-school counselor badges rather than the District Level 2 Student Teacher badge. I can start your placement process, but I cannot notify you of your placement assignment until I receive a Level 2 Security Badge that is labeled "Student Teacher". Please note those who have current badges may go to the SDPBC Fingerprinting & Badge Office and they will issue you a student teacher badge for a cost of $6.00 while you wait.
STUDENTS CANNOT SELF-PLACE AT PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN PALM BEACH COUNTY SCHOOLS OR MARTIN
COUNTY SCHOOLS. HOURS OBTAINED THROUGH SELF-PLACEMENT WILL NOT COUNT TOWARD THE COMPLETION
OF THE CLASSROOM OBSERVATION ASSIGNMENT.
Private, Charter or Out-of-County (i.e. Broward, Hendry) school placements are secured
by the student and approved by the course professor before an observation schedule is arranged.
For the entire process on these placements please visit Private/Charter/Other-County/FO-Placement-Opportunities. The required Permission Memo needs to completed and signed by the school director or principal and added to the
FO Online Placement Request Form (Instructions for adding the Permission Memo) or emailed to Cyndi C. Demitruk. Please note for Charter School field observation/practicum - PBSC students with
charter school badges, you still need to submit a permission memo to process your
placement for your field observation/practicum assignment. Out of County Public Schools (Broward, Hendry) require a Permission Memo. Please
make sure to follow the county school district security clearance process.
Dress Code and Professional Behavior:
Please be aware that this is an activity that will reflect on Palm Beach State and on your future job prospects with the School District. As you know flip flops, shorts, halter/midriff tops, leggings worn as pants, sagging trousers, revealing, or baggy clothes are not appropriate dress nor is disrespectful talk or inappropriate actions for observation in any school venue. In the case of a problem, the school principal or director will contact me. I will contact your professor to determine the best course of action and then notify you of any decision that is made related to the incident.
Additionally, you should treat this activity professionally. If you schedule a time to be at the school and cannot make it, you should contact the school to let them know. You should also not show up unannounced. All your time at the school should be scheduled and cleared with your classroom teacher or the assistant principal.
In all cases, please communicate professionally with the School Placement contacts as this reflects on Palm Beach State College and your future employment as a teaching professional.
Field Observation (FO) Forms, FAQ's, & Information for Professors:
PBSC FO Forms, PBC & Martin County School District Forms
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) About FO
Field Observation Information for Professors
Get answers to questions about Field Observation, by filling out the FO Online Inquiry Form.