Students enrolled in EDF2005 Introduction to The Teaching Profession and
EDF2085 Introduction to Diversity for Educators are required to complete 15 hours of Field Observation (FO) for each course. Students enrolled in EPI0950 Teaching Methods Practicum are required to complete 30 hours of practicum.
The purpose of Field Observation (FO) is to provide meaningful learning experiences for pre-service educators in accordance with state mandated guidelines for teacher preparation. Through Field Observation, students should have an opportunity to:
- Observe best practices and techniques for effective classroom management
- Connect theory with practice
- Obtain assistance in career decisions
- Develop personal skills and values
Students can complete their field observation through a variety of ways. Public school, charter school, and private school settings are available, as well as placement opportunities in the surrounding counties. Students may select the venue that works the best for them.
If you have questions about the field observation assignment requirements, please
consult with your professor. Questions about the observation placement process should
be directed to Cyndi C. Demitruk.
Students enrolled in the Teacher Certification Program in the Educator Preparation Institute (EPI), please contact Dr. Karline S. Prophete for details of the additional practicum placement requirements.
This process requires all students enrolled in field experience and practicum courses to complete the Field Observation Online Placement Request. For the complete Field Observation Process please visit: www.palmbeachstate.edu/Field-Observation-Process. See below for Field Observation term updates, badge information, forms and SDPBC websites.
Fall (20191) Term UPDATES -
- All students are required to complete the ONLINE PLACEMENT FORM* form to start the field observation placement process for all classes. The form has two parts: 1) Students log onto a secure site (palmbeachstate.edu/forms/FieldExperience*) and complete the online placement request form for Palm Beach and Martin County (MC) public school placement or if they intend to select a charter, private, or out-of-county (Broward, Hendry) public school select "Other" as preference for placement location and complete all related screens to indicate a charter or private school placement opportunity. 2) Students can either attach the required Student Teacher Badge or MC Letter or the signed Permission memo (Private, Charter or Out-of-County schools) to the placement form prior to completing it OR log back into the online form at a later time to attach the badge, letter or memo.
- Access to the previous submitted online placement request form is accomplished by going to palmbeachstate.edu/Students. Log-in and click on "My Messages". Find the message related to your online request and click on the link at the bottom of the message. This will take you to the online request you have submitted and allow you to update it as needed, attach a file and resubmit the request. Instructions for the FO Online Placement Request form
- For students who do not work for the School District requesting public school placement, the full fingerprinting and background check must be done at a cost of $99 with a money order, check or credit card through the SDPBC Fingerprinting Office. The SDPBC Fingerprinting Office now takes online credit card payments for obtaining a Level 2 Security badge. You must make this payment 24 hours before going in to get fingerprinted or submitting a badge renewal and you must bring your credit card payment receipt with you. Students seeking placement for Martin County Public School System please visit:
- Students and employees renewing their badges or needing to obtain the required Student Teacher Security badge, can go in person to the SDPBC Fingerprinting and Badge office. The office will issue you a new Student Teacher badge while you wait. The SDPBC Pre-Service Office requires all PBSC field observation and practicum students have a level 2 badge labeled "Student Teacher." So there are no delays with the request, a Level 2 Badge labeled with Student Teacher must be submitted for processing for classroom observation.
- Please be aware the SDPBC Pre-Service office does not accept Aftercare Counselor, Substitute, Vendor, Teacher, Charter, etc. badges for PBC public school placement. All PBSC students must show a badge labeled "Student Teacher" (FO - Practicum Sample Badge) prior to starting the classroom observation. Students will not be able to start their observation/practicum until they have a Level 2 Security Badge labeled Student Teacher. Please visit PBSC FO website for Martin County Public School Placements.
- Current SDPBC employees who have had their badges for five years or more may pay an additional fee when renewing their badges to have their background check updated-total cost for the renewal is $25.25. Please note students need a badge labeled Student Teacher.
- The SDPBC Fingerprinting Office allows online credit card payment for badge renewal and new badges in addition to taking money orders or checks. Go to www.palmbeachschools.org/schoolpolice/CreditCardPayments for directions to the process.
- Field observation placement may be limited during the period of Florida Standards Assessments during the spring term. Some schools limit student access to the school campus during the preparation period and assessements testing days. It is advisable to start the placement process as early as possible so that you can work with the assigned school contact to work around these blackout dates.
CHARTER/PRIVATE/OTHER COUNTY SCHOOL PLACEMENTS:
Charter, Private or Out-of-County (Hendry, Broward) School Placements are secured by the student and approved by the course professor before an observation schedule is arranged. The required Permission Memo needs to completed and signed by the school director or principal and added to the FO Online Placement Request Form or emailed to Cyndi Demitruk.
DRESS CODE AND PROFESSIONAL BEHAVIOR: Please be aware that this is an activity that will reflect on Palm Beach State and on your future job prospects with the School District. As you know flip flops, short shorts, halter tops, revealing, dirty or baggy clothes are not appropriate dress nor is disrespectful talk or inappropriate actions for observation in any school venue. In the case of a problem, the school principal or director will contact me. I will contact your professor to determine the best course of action and then notify you of any decision that is made related to the incident.
Additionally, you should treat this activity professionally. If you schedule a time
to be at the school and cannot make it, you should contact the school to let them
know. You should also not show up unannounced. All your time at the school should
be scheduled and cleared with your classroom teacher or the assistant principal.
In all cases, please communicate professionally with the School Placement contacts as this reflects on Palm Beach State College and your future employment as a teaching professional.
Field Observation Information, Forms, & FAQ'S:
For additional inquiries about FO, please contact Academic Services by visiting: FO Inquiries/Placement Concerns