Students enrolled in EDF2005 Introduction to The Teaching Profession and EDF2085 Introduction to Diversity for Educators are required to complete 15 hours of Field Observation (FO) for each course. Students enrolled in EPI0950 Teaching Methods Practicum are required to complete 30 hours of practicum.
The purpose of Field Observation (FO) is to provide meaningful learning experiences for pre-service educators in accordance with state mandated guidelines for teacher preparation. Through Field Observation, students should have an opportunity to:
- Observe best practices and techniques for effective classroom management
- Connect theory with practice
- Obtain assistance in career decisions
- Develop personal skills and values
For Palm Beach County Public Schools the student must be a current teacher with the SDPBC. For Martin County Public Schools please go to Martin County School Placements for information. See below for placements in St Lucie Schools. Private, Charter or Out-of-County schools, placements are secured by the student and approved by their professor. Please check with the school to see if they allow placements and the security clearance requirements due to COVID19.
Those students enrolled in EPI0950 who have questions about course assignments, please
consult with your professor. Any questions about the field experience placement process
or school venues contact Cyndi Demitruk.
Students enrolled in the Teacher Certification Program in the Educator Preparation Institute (EPI), please contact Sheena Blue for additional placement requirements for the program.
This process requires all students enrolled in field experience and practicum courses to complete the Field Observation Online Placement Request. For the complete Field Experience Process please go to www.palmbeachstate.edu/Field-Observation-Process. See below for Field Observation & Teaching Practicum term updates, Palm Beach County and Martin County security clearance, forms and SDPBC websites.
Spring 2021 Updates Field Observation & Teaching Practicum Students:
The School District of Palm Beach County (SDPBC) Pre-Service Office is currently placing students employed with the SDPBC and enrolled in EDF2005 and/or EDF2085 for the Spring term. If you are not employed by the SDPBC please contact your professor about completing field observation hours.
Teaching Practicum (EPI0950) Students (ONLY):
- Students who are planning to take EPI0950 Teaching Methods Practicum for the spring term (2021) and place in the public schools are encouraged to submit an online placement request form early. This is due to placement restrictions for testing schedules in Palm Beach County public schools which does limit access to classes during the actual testing period. Also, Palm Beach County public school placements are restricted to those students who are currently teaching or have active employee status. To obtain an active status, the student can submit a SDPBC Substitute Application to obtain an employee badge and ID number. Once you have a employee ID number and are in the SDPBC Workforce with Human Resources, the student can be placed.
- Students enrolled in EPI0950 may contact Director Susy Martinez-White for information on completing your field experience. Information on the placement process, schools, etc. inquiries should be directed to Cyndi Demitruk. Information on teaching demonstrations and the class assignment please contact Sheena Blue
- Only those students enrolled in EPI0950 Teaching Methods Practicum, who are currently teaching may submit a placement request for the Palm Beach County School District or submit a application for Substitute Teaching.
- EPI students seeking placement in Martin County School District, please visit Martin County Placement Process. For St. Lucie Public Schools, please contact Mollie G. Dunn Coordinator Recruitment & Retention at 772-429-7519 on availability of a Clinical Educator, who is required to be certified in the same subject area as the student's SOE. All students will need to obtain security clearance by going to St Lucie Public Schools College Student. Once you are on the webpage scroll down to College Students for instructions on obtaining a security clearance. If you have any issues with the process contact customer service team at 877-614-4364 or email@example.com.
- For Private, Charter or Out-of-County Placements, the student secures the placement and should contact the school and notify their professor for approval on the pending placement.
- For additional info, listings of PBC private and charter schools & the permission memo form go to Private/Out-of-County/Charter School Placements. For Out-of-County (Other County) public school placements (Broward, Dade, Hendry, etc.) you will need to contact the school district on their security requirements for placements due to COVID19.
- Any questions, information, and/or concerns on spring placements, please contact Cyndi Demitruk, Phone: (561) 868-3617.
- Complete the FIELD OBSERVATION (FO) ONLINE APPLICATION PLACEMENT REQUEST FORM (Instructions) to start the field observation placement process for all classes. The form has two parts: 1) Students log onto a secure site (www.palmbeachstate.edu/forms/FieldExperience) and complete the online application placement request for Palm Beach and Martin County (MC) Public School placement or if they intend to select a charter, private or other county placement opportunity. 2) Students can attach their Employee Badge (verifying they are currently teaching or have an Active Employee Status with PBC public schools, Martin County or St. Lucie County Public School Security Letter, or a completed and signed permission memo for charter, private or out-of-county public schools to the placement form prior to completing it OR log back into the online form at a later time to attach the employee badge, permission memo, Martin County or St Lucie School security clearance letter.
- Access to the previous submitted online placement form is accomplished by going to www.palmbeachstate.edu/Students. Log in and click on "My Messages". Find the message related to your online request and click on the link at the bottom of the message. This will take you to the online request you have submitted and allow you to update it as needed, attach your badge or permission memo and resubmit the request. Here are the Instructions for updating the previously submitted FO Online Placement form. If you are attaching a new badge or permission memo please note only one document can be uploaded and you will need to email your new employee badge, security clearance letter or permission memo to Cyndi Demitruk
- Students who work for the PBC School District are required to go through the online placement form submission. Students who are not currently teaching or have Active Employee status with the PBC School District the student must submit a PBC School District Substitute Teacher Application. After the student obtains an employee badge and employee ID number the placement process can begin. Without this information the practicum student will not have technology access to the SDPBC. The SDPBC Pre-Service office cannot place students who are not currently teaching (active employee status) with the school district.
Private, Charter, or Other County Public School Placements (Broward, Dade, Hendry, etc.) are secured by the student and approved by the course professor before an observation schedule is arranged. Please check with the private, charter or out-of-county school that they have a Clinical Educator (CE) certified in the subject area as the student’s certification. The required Permission Memo needs to be completed and signed by the placing school and added to the online placement form (Instructions for adding the Permission Memo) or email a copy to Cyndi Demitruk . For listings of private and charter schools, visit Private, Charter or Other County School Placements. (Instructions for adding the Permission Memo)
Please note for Charter School field observation - Palm Beach State students with
charter school badges, still need to submit a permission memo to process your placement
for your teaching practicum assignment. Out-of-County Public Schools (Broward, Dade,
Hendry etc.) also require a Permission Memo. Please make sure to follow the county school district security clearance process.
Field Observation (FO) Forms, FAQ's, & Information for Professors:
PBSC FO Forms, PBC & Martin County School District Forms
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) About FO
Field Observation Information for Professors