Students enrolled in EDF2005 Introduction to The Teaching Profession and EDF2085 Introduction to Diversity for Educators are required to complete 15 hours of Field Observation (FO) for each course. Students enrolled in EPI0950 Teaching Methods Practicum are required to complete 30 hours of practicum.
The purpose of Field Observation (FO) is to provide meaningful learning experiences for pre-service educators in accordance with state mandated guidelines for teacher preparation. Through Field Observation, students should have an opportunity to:
- Observe best practices and techniques for effective classroom management
- Connect theory with practice
- Obtain assistance in career decisions
- Develop personal skills and values
Students can complete their field observation through a variety of ways. Public school, charter school, and private school settings are available, as well as placement opportunities in the surrounding counties. Students may select the venue that works the best for them.
If you have questions about the field observation assignment requirements, please
consult with your professor. Questions about the observation placement process should
be directed to Cyndi C. Demitruk.
Students enrolled in the Teacher Certification Program in the Educator Preparation Institute (EPI), please contact Dr. Karline S. Prophete for details of the additional practicum placement requirements.
This process requires all students enrolled in field experience and practicum courses to complete the Field Observation Online Placement Request. For the complete Field Observation Process please visit: www.palmbeachstate.edu/Field-Observation-Process. See below for Field Observation term updates, badge information, forms and SDPBC websites.
FALL 2019-1 (2018) - SPRING 2019-2 UPDATES & INFO ON PROCESSING PLACEMENT REQUESTS
The SDPBC Pre-Service Placement Coordinator for public school placements, informed me that for students to obtain a meaningful observation experience, they should secure placement assignments by Thanksgiving. Because of all the diagnostic testing for the month of December and holiday activities that would be the only way to ensure that their observation is more than observing a classroom party or testing or even being allowed on campus. After Thanksgiving, it is recommended that students consider charter or private school placements.
Currently enrolled students who are planning to take field observation courses Spring
Term (2019-2) and place in the public schools are encouraged to submit an online placement
request form early. (A copy of your Level 2 Student Teacher Security Badge will be
required again as well.) This is due to the placement restrictions for the spring
testing schedule in the public schools which does limit access to classrooms during
the actual testing period.
Field Observation placement may be limited during the period of Florida Standards Assessments during the Spring 2019-2 Term. Some schools limit student access to the school campus during the preparation period and assessments testing days. It is advisable to start the placement process early so that you can work with the school contact to work around these blackout dates.
SOME ISSUES THAT HAVE OCCURRED WHICH YOU SHOULD KEEP IN MIND:
* Some students have submitted online requests, but our office has not received the SDPBC Level 2 Student Teacher Badge or the Martin County Security Clearance Letter. I cannot start the placement process for a public school until I receive one of these. You can go into your online request and attach an image or PDF of the badge or security letter.
* You can access your original request and update it by going to www.palmbeachstate.edu/Students. Log in and click on "My Messages". Find the message related to your online request and click on the link at the bottom of the message. This will take you to the online request you have submitted and allow you to update it as needed, attach a file, and resubmit the request.
* Some of you are submitting public school employee or teacher or after-school counselor badges rather than the District Level 2 Student Teacher badge. I can start your placement process, but I cannot notify you of your placement assignment until I receive a Level 2 Security Badge that is labeled "Student Teacher". Please note those who have current badges may go to the SDPBC Fingerprinting & Badge Office and they will issue you a student teacher badge for a cost of $6.00 while you wait.
- All students are required to complete the ONLINE PLACEMENT FORM* form to start the field observation placement process for all classes. The form has two parts: 1) Students log onto a secure site (palmbeachstate.edu/forms/FieldExperience*) and complete the online placement request form for Palm Beach and Martin County (MC) public school placement or if they intend to select a charter, private, or out-of-county (Broward, Hendry) public school select "Other" as preference for placement location and complete all related screens to indicate a charter or private school placement opportunity. 2) Students can either attach the required Student Teacher Badge or Martin County Letter or a signed Permission memo (Private, Charter or Out-of-County schools) to the placement form prior to completing it OR log back into the online form at a later time to attach the badge, letter or memo.
- Access to the previous submitted online placement request form is accomplished by going to palmbeachstate.edu/Students. Log-in and click on "My Messages". Find the message related to your online request and click on the link at the bottom of the message. This will take you to the online request you have submitted and allow you to update it as needed, attach a file and resubmit the request. Instructions for the FO Online Placement Request form
- Students and employees renewing their badges or needing to obtain the required Student Teacher Security badge, can go in person to the SDPBC Fingerprinting and Badge office. The SDPBC Pre-Service Office requires all PBSC field observation and practicum students have a Level 2 badge labeled "Student Teacher." So there are no delays with the request, a Level 2 Badge labeled with Student Teacher must be submitted for processing for classroom observation.
- Please be aware the SDPBC Pre-Service office does not accept Aftercare Counselor, Substitute, Teacher, Charter, etc. badges for PBC public school placement. All PBSC students must show a badge labeled "Student Teacher" (FO - Practicum Sample Badge) prior to starting the classroom observation. Please visit PBSC FO website for Martin County Public School Placements.
- Current SDPBC employees who have had their badges for five years or more may pay an additional fee when renewing their badges to have their background check updated-total cost for the renewal is $25.25. Please note students need a badge labeled Student Teacher.
- The SDPBC Fingerprinting Office allows online credit card payment for badge renewal and new badges in addition to taking money orders or checks. Go to www.palmbeachschools.org/schoolpolice/CreditCardPayments for directions to the process.
Charter, Private or Out-of-County (Hendry, Broward) School Placements are secured
by the student and approved by the course professor before an observation schedule
is arranged. The required Permission Memo needs to completed and signed by the school director or principal and added to the
FO Online Placement Request Form or emailed to Cyndi Demitruk.
Dress Code and Professional Behavior:
Please be aware that this is an activity that will reflect on Palm Beach State and on your future job prospects with the School District. As you know flip flops, short shorts, halter tops, revealing, dirty or baggy clothes are not appropriate dress nor is disrespectful talk or inappropriate actions for observation in any school venue. In the case of a problem, the school principal or director will contact me. I will contact your professor to determine the best course of action and then notify you of any decision that is made related to the incident.
Additionally, you should treat this activity professionally. If you schedule a time to be at the school and cannot make it, you should contact the school to let them know. You should also not show up unannounced. All your time at the school should be scheduled and cleared with your classroom teacher or the assistant principal.
In all cases, please communicate professionally with the School Placement contacts as this reflects on Palm Beach State College and your future employment as a teaching professional.
Field Observation Information, Forms, & FAQs:
For additional inquiries about FO, please contact Academic Services by visiting: FO Inquiries/Placement Concerns