Students enrolled in EDF2005 Introduction to The Teaching Profession and EDF2085 Introduction to Diversity for Educators are required to complete 15 hours of Field Observation (FO) for each course. Students enrolled in EPI0950 Teaching Methods Practicum are required to complete 30 hours of practicum.
The purpose of Field Observation (FO) is to provide meaningful learning experiences for pre-service educators in accordance with state mandated guidelines for teacher preparation. Through Field Observation, students should have an opportunity to:
- Observe best practices and techniques for effective classroom management
- Connect theory with practice
- Obtain assistance in career decisions
- Develop personal skills and values
Students can complete their field observation through a variety of ways. Public school, charter school, and private school settings are available, as well as placement opportunities in the surrounding counties. Students may select the venue that works the best for them.
If you have questions about the field observation (FO) assignment requirements, please
consult with your professor. Questions about the observation placement process should
be directed to Cyndi C. Demitruk.
Students enrolled in the Teacher Certification Program in the Educator Preparation Institute (EPI), please contact Dr. Karline S. Prophete for details of the additional practicum placement requirements.
This process requires all students enrolled in field experience and practicum courses to complete the Field Observation Online Placement Request. For the complete Field Observation Process please visit: www.palmbeachstate.edu/Field-Observation-Process. See below for Field Observation term updates, badge information, forms and SDPBC websites.
Summer (20193) Term Updates:
The Palm Beach County School District is not placing students in public school classrooms this summer. Since the PBSC summer term starts May 15, 2019, there will not be time for PBC Public School Placements in the remainder of the public school year.
Students will need to select placement in a charter or private schools in Palm Beach, Martin or any of the surrounding counties (i.e. Broward, Hendry), that offer summer school and are willing to place the student for observation. For these placements information can be found at FO Private/Charter/Other-County Placement Opportunities
All students should complete the Field Observation (FO) Online Placement Request* form to start the FO placement process for all classes (FO Online Placement Request Form Instructions). The form has two parts: 1) Students log onto a secure site (palmbeachstate.edu/forms/FieldExperience*) and complete the online placement request form. For the summer term they should select "Other" as preference for placement location and complete all related screens to indicate a charter or private school or other county placement opportunity. 2) Students can either attach the required signed Permission Memo to the placement form prior to completing it OR log back into the online form at a later time to attach the permission memo.
Access to the previously remitted FO Online Placement Request is achieved by going to palmbeachstate.edu/Students. Log-in and click on "My Messages". Find the message related to your online request and click on the link at the bottom of the message. This will take you to the online placement request you have sent and allow you to update as needed or attach the Permission Memo and send the request again.
To keep your Level 2 Badges current for the Fall Term (2020-1), badges must be renewed between April 1 and June 30 of the year they expire, at a cost of $6. After this date, the full fingerprinting process must be done at a cost of $99.
- The School District encourages students who know they will be observing the in the fall term to get to get their badge renewals done early in the renewal period for $6. Students can pre-pay online for badge renewals with VISA/MC credit/debit card at School District Prepay Credit/Debit Card Badge Renewals. Or they may renew their badge in person at the SDPBC Fingerprinting and Badge Office and you can be issued a new badge while you wait for a cost of $6. You can pay by money order or by VISA/MC debit/credit card. You will need to complete the SDPBC Badge Renewal Form 2280.
- First-time students requesting public school placement for their field observation who do not work for the School District, the full fingerprinting
and background check must be done at a cost of $99 through the SDPBC Fingerprinting & Badge Office.
- Please note it is advised that this process be done well before the fall term starts since the beginning of the school year is a high-volume time for issuing badges for the School District. PBSC has created an easy step-by-step security clearance process for FO/Practicum Students: SDPBC Security Clearance Requirements (Fingerprinting & Background Information Check)
- The SDPBC Pre-Service Placement Office does not accept Aftercare Counselor, Substitute, Vendor, Asst Behavioral/Phys Needs, Paraprofessional badges for classroom observation. All Palm Beach State FO and Practicum
students must present a current Student Teacher Badge with the expiration date (FO - Practicum Sample Badge) prior to starting their classroom observation.
- Students with SDPBC Teacher Badges (they do not have an expiration date) are required to obtain a Student Teacher Badge with an expiration date. I can go
ahead and submit the placement request to get the process started but students will
not be able to begin their observation/practicum until our office receives a copy
of their Level 2 Security Student Teacher Badge. If you go in person to the SDPBC Fingerprinting & Badge Office and present your current badge they can issue you a student teacher badge while you
wait at a cost of $6 paid with a money order or VISA/MC Credit/Debit Card.
- The SDPBC Fingerprinting Office accept online payments for badge renewals and new badges in addition to taking money orders. Go to www.palmbeachschools.org/SchoolCashOnline/Credit&DebitPayments for directions to the school district online payment process.
CHARTER/PRIVATE/OTHER COUNTY SCHOOL PLACEMENTS:
Charter, Private or Other County (i.e. Broward, Hendry) school placements are secured
by the student and approved by the course professor before an observation schedule is arranged.
For the entire process on these placements please visit Private/Charter/Other-County/FO-Placement-Opportunities. The required Permission Memo needs to completed and signed by the school director or principal and added to the
FO Online Placement Request Form (Instructions for adding the Permission Memo) or emailed to Cyndi C. Demitruk. Please note for Charter School field observation/practicum - PBSC students with
charter school badges, you still need to submit a permission memo to process your
placement for your field observation/practicum assignment.
DRESS CODE AND PROFESSIONAL BEHAVIOR:
Please be aware that this is an activity that will reflect on Palm Beach State and on your future job prospects with the School District. As you know flip flops, short shorts, halter/midriff tops, leggings worn as pants, sagging trousers, revealing, dirty or baggy clothes are not appropriate dress nor is disrespectful talk or inappropriate actions for observation in any school venue. In the case of a problem, the school principal or director will contact me. I will contact your professor to determine the best course of action and then notify you of any decision that is made related to the incident.
Additionally, you should treat this activity professionally. If you schedule a time to be at the school and cannot make it, you should contact the school to let them know. You should also not show up unannounced. All your time at the school should be scheduled and cleared with your classroom teacher or the assistant principal.
In all cases, please communicate professionally with the School Placement contacts as this reflects on Palm Beach State College and your future employment as a teaching professional.
Field Observation (FO) Forms, FAQ's, & Information for Professors:
Field Observation Forms, PBC & Martin County School District Forms
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) About FO
Field Observation Information for Professors
Get answers to questions about Field Observation, by filling out the FO Online Inquiry Form.