Students enrolled in EDF2005 Introduction to The Teaching Profession and EDF2085 Introduction to Diversity for Educators are required to complete 15 hours of Field Observation (FO) for each course. Students enrolled in EPI0950 Teaching Methods Practicum are required to complete 30 hours of practicum.
The purpose of Field Observation (FO) is to provide meaningful learning experiences for pre-service educators in accordance with state mandated guidelines for teacher preparation. Through Field Observation, students should have an opportunity to:
- Observe best practices and techniques for effective classroom management
- Connect theory with practice
- Obtain assistance in career decisions
- Develop personal skills and values
The School District requires that all students placing in the public schools have a Level 2 Security Badge labeled "Student Teacher". (Charter, private and out-of-county public schools may have separate security requirements). Please see Instructions for Obtaining SDPBC Security Clearance for placement.
Students can complete their field observation through a variety of ways. Public school, charter school, and private school settings are available, as well as placement opportunities in the surrounding counties. Students may select the venue that works the best for them.
If you have questions about the field observation (FO) assignment requirements, please
consult with your professor. Questions about the observation placement process should
be directed to Cyndi Demitruk.
Students enrolled in the EPI0950 Course Outline please visit EPI0950 Teaching Methods Practicum Information and please contact Interim Program Director Dr. Ruth S. Floreal at the Educator Preparation Institute for additional information. This process requires all students enrolled in field experience and practicum courses to complete the Field Observation Online Placement Request.
For the complete Field Observation Process please visit: www.palmbeachstate.edu/Field-Observation-Process. See below for Field Observation & Teaching Practicum term updates, Palm Beach County and Martin County security clearance, forms and SDPBC websites.
Fall 2021 Updates
WELCOME! We are excited to have new students and returning students for our fall term field observation and teaching practicum. Those of you who have registered in EDF2005, EDF2085 for the fall term 2021 are required to complete 15 hours of field observation for each course. Students registered in EPI0950 are required to complete 30 hours of field observation (practicum experience). The details of the process can be found at Field Observation Process.
Please note: Under the School District of Palm Beach County's plan for the 2021/22 academic year, which is slated to begin on Aug. 10, facial coverings will be optional for all students, staff members, and visitors inside school buildings.
All students must complete the FIELD OBSERVATION (FO) ONLINE PLACEMENT APPLICATION to start the placement process for all classes. Please read below on the process to fill out the application:
- Log onto a secure site www.palmbeachstate.edu/forms/FieldExperience and complete the online placement request form for Palm Beach County (PBC) or Martin County (MC) public school www.palmbeachstate.edu/field-observation/fomartincounty observation OR “Other Preference” for a charter, private or other county (Broward, Hendry, etc.) placement opportunity for the type of form to complete. Please be aware private schools i.e. child care centers may require a Level 2 Background Screening through Live Scan for your classroom observation.
- For PBC Public School Placements ONLY - The SDPBC Pre-Service Office is requiring all students requesting placement in a PBC Public School to specify the school, grade level and subject area (for middle and high schools) for their classroom observation. You may ask for a Palm Beach County Public School (please visit https://www.palmbeachschools.org/ for a list of PBC Public Schools) for your field placement and the Pre-Service office will do everything to accommodate your request. You can type in the grade level and name of school you wish to complete your field observation (FO)/Practicum Experience) under the “Any Special Considerations” section of the online placement form. (Please be aware Boca Raton area elementary schools fill up quickly due to the university placing interns)
- Students can either attach the required Level 2 Student Teacher Security Badge* (PBC) or Security Clearance Letter (MC) OR a completed and signed permission memo for charter, private or any other county public schools (except Martin & St. Lucie County Schools) to the placement form OR log back into the online form later to attach the badge, letter, or memo.
LEVEL 2 SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS Students who want to keep their Level 2 ID badges current, badges can renew between April 1 and June 30 of the year that they expire, at a cost of $6. After that, the student will need to make an appointment with the SDPBC School Police go through the full fingerprinting process for a cost of $99 to get their updated badge. For the Security requirements please go to SDPBC Security Clearance Requirements. Please be aware an appointment is required to get your Security Badge. Go to Pre-Service Fingerprinting & Badge Process for the current procedures on obtaining your badge. To schedule an appointment please visit Appointment Scheduler.
If you choose to pay with a debit/credit card (VISA/MC) via School Cash Online, you must pay 24 hours in advance and bring your receipt for proof of payment. Foreign students seeking placement please visit SDPBC Field Observation Security Requirements and scroll down to Step #3 for information on foreign students seeking placement with the SDPBC.
*For SDPBC employees who observe, the renewal cost is $6 unless they have had their badge for five years or more. At that point, the SDPBC now requires them to have their background check renewed at an additional cost of $19.25 for a total of $25.25. SDPBC employees complete the online form and submit a badge like any other student to secure their placement for the fall term. All SDPBC employees are required to have a Level 2 Security Badge for classroom observation.
For those students needing badge renewals and those district employees with a current badge (needing a badge labeled Student Teacher), please complete a PBSD 2280 Badge Renewal form and make an appointment to renew your badge by visiting the Appointment Scheduler.
EPI students seeking placement in St. Lucie Public Schools, please contact Mollie G. Dunn Coordinator Recruitment & Retention at 772-429-7519 on the availability of a Clinical Educator, who is required to be certified in the same subject area as the student's SOE. All students will need to obtain security clearance by going to St Lucie Public Schools College Student. Once you are on the webpage scroll down to College Students for instructions on obtaining a security clearance. If you have any issues with the process contact customer service team at 877-614-4364 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Charter/Private School Placements
Students can select placement in a charter or private school in Palm Beach, Martin or any of the surrounding counties are willing to place the student for observation. This placement must be approved by the course professor as appropriate for the assignment and may require specific security identification to qualify.
To secure this type of placement, the student should contact the school principal/administrator that does observation placements and ask - 1) If the school is doing field observation placements, 2) if they are, what the security requirements are for placement and 3) what dates and times the student may do the observation.
If the administrator agrees to place the student, the student fills in a permission memo, prints it out and takes it to the administrator to complete and sign. The student then signs the permission memo and turns it into their course professor or scans it and emails it to me. The permission memo is found at Permission Memo
Please note for Charter School field observation - Palm Beach State students with charter school badges, still need to submit a permission memo to process your placement for your teaching practicum assignment. Out-of-County Public Schools (Broward, Dade, Hendry etc.) also require a Permission Memo. Please be sure to follow the county school district security clearance process.
Field Observation (FO) Forms, FAQ's and Information for Professors:
PBSC FO Forms, PBC & Martin County School District Forms
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) About FO
Field Observation Information for Professors