Library Services for Students
In keeping with the mission of Palm Beach State College, the Library Learning Resource Center helps students to become information literate by providing learning resources, instructional technology, and services relevant to their educational needs, personal growth, enrichment, and cultural development.
Services offered to students include the following:
Students can search for books, videos, audiobooks, and articles in the library catalog. The following materials are available to students:
- Main Circulating Collection: The library has a growing collection of children's books, a large selection of fiction books, as well as many nonfiction books to support the curriculum and support students' learning needs. Books in our main, circulating collection can be checked out for 21 days and extended upon request.
- Reserves Collection: The Belle Glade Library maintains most textbooks for courses offered at the Belle Glade Campus. Textbooks are held in the Reserves Collection. In addition to textbooks, the Reserves Collection includes study materials, such as flash cards and physical study aids. Items from this collection can be checked out for a minimum of 3 hours at a time and are for use in the library only. For courses offered online or at other campuses, check with other campus libraries.
- Reference Collection: The Reference Collection includes specialized dictionaries and encyclopedias for quick reference.
- eBooks: eBooks are available through the library and are full books that can be read online. A special device is not needed; a connection to the internet and student login information is necessary to access library resources. eBooks can be accessed directly from the catalog and are indicated with a red eBook letter icon.
The library subscribes to a variety of scholarly journals, magazines, and daily newspapers in print format. Additionally, electronic access to a vast number of journals, magazines, and newspapers are available through the library's databases online.
Our library databases provide students with access to a multitude of information online. This includes eBooks; full-text of journals, magazines and newspapers; streaming video; interactive study aids; and much more.
The media collection offers a selection of educational and popular audiobooks (21-day checkout), and DVDs (7-day checkout).
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
This is a resource-sharing program with other Florida colleges. If students cannot find a resource in our library, then we can request it from another participating library if the item is available.
The library has a printer/copy machine available for use in the library. Printing or copying in black & white costs 10-cents a page, and printing and copying in color costs 50-cents a page. There is also a scanner available to scan pages, and that costs a penny per page.
The following devices are available for students to checkout.
- Calculators: Graphing and scientific calculators are available for students to check out for a semester loan.
- Kindles/Nook eReaders: Students can check out Kindles (we have older Kindles as well as Kindle Fires) and Nook eReaders for 21 days. These devices are preloaded with a small collection of eBooks. The Nooks and Kindle Fires also function as a tablet to go online and browse the internet.
- *iPads: iPads are available for students to check out for 2 nights. Each iPad has WiFi connectivity and includes a variety of apps targeting a wide range of subjects, including math, anatomy & physiology, cosmetology, chemistry, and much more.
- *Laptops: Students can checkout laptops for 3 hours. Library laptops have WiFi connectivity and can print to the student printers. These are only for use on campus.
- Headphones: Students can check out headphones for a 3 hours.
- xBox Games and Controllers: The library has a small collection of xBox games and controllers available for checkout in the library. The xBox game console is located in the Student Activities office. xBox games and controllers are checked out for 3 hours at a time.
- Mobile Hotspots: These devices can be checked out for 7 days at a time and provide wireless internet access.
*Students must have a valid PantherCard ID in addition to a government-issued ID (ex: driver's license, permanent resident card, etc.) in order to check out iPads and laptops.
The library is here to assist students with their research needs.
The library offers help with working on a research assignment or project, including how and where to search for information. The library also offers a series of workshops covering a variety of topics, including research strategies, evaluating information found, and more.
The library offers help with citing sources in APA (American Psychological Association) and MLA (Modern Language Association) format.
Library Research Guides (LibGuides)
Librarians have created online tools called LibGuides to aid students with their research. These guides are intended to share knowledge, increase access to resources and expand research.
Ask a Librarian
The library subscribes to a service called Ask A Librarian, a virtual reference service that allows students to chat or text a Florida librarian for help. These services are offered Sunday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to midnight and Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. This is a great way to receive research assistance outside of the library's normal operating hours.