Palm Beach State College offers courses that may count toward the renewal of the Florida Professional Teaching Certificate. For more information on renewing your Professional Educator Certification and a list of appropriate categories of courses that may be acceptable for renewal, visit the Florida Department of Education.
Appropriate Course Categories for Renewal
The following topics are appropriate for renewing your Professional Certificate.
- Content specific to the subject area(s)
- Methods or education strategies specific to the subject area(s)
- Methods of teaching reading and literacy skills acquisition
- Computer literacy, computer applications, and computer education
- Exceptional student education
- ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages)
- Drug abuse, child abuse and neglect, or student dropout prevention
- Training related to the goals of the Florida K-20 System, such as:
- Content - English, economics, mathematics, science, social sciences, foreign languages, humanities, global economy, technology, ecology, first aid, health, or safety
- Classroom Strategies - Cooperative learning, problem-solving skills, critical-thinking skills, classroom management, child development, collaboration techniques for working with families, social services, child guidance and counseling, teaching reading, or educational assessments, etc.
- School Administration Accountability - Instructional design, leadership skills, school and community relations, school finance, school facilities, school law, or school organization
- Vocational and Adult Education Accountability - Adult learning, principles of adult or vocational education, vocational education for students with special needs, or vocational
There are several Palm Beach State College credit courses eligible for professional certificate renewal. For assistance and a course number information, you may contact the Institute of Teacher Education, Professional Development office for advising or review the FLDOE Recertification/Renewal Suggested Course List.
Students are advised to seek out School District of Palm Beach County or FLDOE course approval prior to enrollment.
"Search for Classes" for specific day/time information for these courses via the Panther Web at www.palmbeachstate.edu
Complete and submit a Palm Beach State College application. In the enrollment intention section of the application, choose the following as your enrollment intention:
I intend on taking college credit courses as a non-degree-seeking student. This option is for students who wish to take credit courses for job improvement or teacher recertification.
If you have a current college application which does not reflect non-degree seeking status as your program objective, you must submit a program objective change form before proceeding. Your program objective should be submitted as a 3407: Employment Related on this form.
Submit official high school transcript plus any higher education transcripts to Palm Beach State College Registrar's Office. Official transcripts must be sent by each institution in sealed envelopes or sent electronically by the institution. The Registration Office allows one semester enrollment without official transcripts; however, will not allow any subsequent enrollments.
Once your application has been processed, you can log on to Panther Web and use your student ID and pin to register for classes.
Once you have registered for classes, pay close attention to the payment due date. Failure to pay tuition by your designated due date will result in automatic cancellation of enrollment by the Registrar's Office.
Current classroom teachers for the School District of Palm Beach County (SDPBC) are entitled to a tuition waiver for special education, math, and/or science courses.
Introduction to Special Education (EEX2010) is an eligible course for tuition waiver.
1. If you are eligible for tuition waiver based on your employment status, fill out
the tuition waiver form below, including the course ID, reference number, and agency
authorization (school principal or HR department for the SDPBC). You MUST be a current
student of Palm Beach State College with a student ID.
Tuition Waiver Form
2. Once you have the form completed you can submit this form for approval to the College registrar’s office one business day prior to the last day of the add/drop registration period.
3. Upon approval of your tuition waiver, you will be able to self-enroll through the PantherWeb system using your student ID and password and tuition will be waived at that time.
Please keep in mind that approval for tuition waiver is contingent on there still being at least one seat available in the course one day prior to the last day of the add/drop registration period.
Tuition waiver form MUST be approved by the College Registrar’s office in order for fees to be waived.
For more information on the tuition waiver process, please contact Teacher Education, Professional Development at TeacherEducation@palmbeachstate.edu.