As part of the biotechnology program at Palm Beach State College, students will be prepared to apply the hands-on knowledge learned at one of more than 25 leading bioscience companies and research institutes in our area!
Whatever your scientific interests may be, we can place you with an internship that will fulfill your future career interests and goals.
Upon successful completion of your internship, you will be equipped with the tools to either further your education or obtain a job within the biotech industry.
High School Student & Teacher Resources
Summer Internship in Biotechnology
Palm Beach State College’s Biotechnology Program offers a 6-week summer research internship program for high school students from mid-June through late July for 4-6 qualified high school juniors and seniors interested in pursuing a career in science. Accepted students will come to the Gardens campus and learn hands-on lab skills such as pipetting, gel electrophoresis, preparing solutions and buffers, Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), restriction digestion of DNA, and will apply these skills and more to an actual research project. Projects will involve molecular cloning, working with cultured mammalian cells or bacteria, or purifying proteins.
- Age/year: Rising high school juniors and seniors. Applicants must be 16 years of age at time
of application, and must arrange their own transportation.
- Pre-req Courses: Applicants must have passed high school Biology, Chemistry, and Algebra. Familiarity
with science concepts such as buffers, acids, bases, cellular organelles, and DNA.
Advanced Placement (AP) Biology or Chemistry is preferred. Ideally, applicants will
have an understanding of what biotechnology is, as well as an awareness of biotechnology
concepts such as PCR, plasmid transformation, and molecular cloning.
- Unofficial Transcript & Resume: Applicants for the internship must provide a copy of their Unofficial Transcript
and a Resume describing their academic and community activities.
- Personal Statement: Applicants must submit a Personal Statement that includes why he/she is applying
for the Biotechnology internship.
- Sponsor: Internship applicants must list the contact information (email and phone number) of a high school Biology, Chemistry, or Algebra teacher that can serve as their reference/sponsor. We are not requesting a letter. We are requesting only that the teacher support the student’s application and be willing to work with PBSC faculty and staff to coordinate a post-internship presentation at your high school.
If accepted, interns must agree to attend all sessions and complete all assignments. Failure to agree will forfeit admission to the program.
2018 Internship Schedule: Monday & Wednesdays from 10am – 2:30pm, June 18 through August 1 at the PBSC Gardens campus located at 3160 PGA Blvd, Bioscience Complex (SC214), Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410.
2018 Application Window: Documents will be accepted only between May 7 through May 31, 2018. Materials will not be accepted before or after these dates. Materials submitted before or after these dates will not be reviewed. Applications will be reviewed in the order received. Once all slots are filled, the program will no longer accept applications for that year. There is no waiting list and we cannot hold your application for the next year. We have only 4 spots available this year, so make sure to follow the guidelines!
How to apply: Submit all materials in a single email to Edison Mejia; Biotechnology Lab Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org by the May 31, 2018 deadline.Materials must be submitted as a single email, which must include a greeting (Dear Mr. Mejia,) and a brief introductory text (My name is Jane Doe and I am applying for the 2018 summer Biotechnology high school internship at PBSC, etc). Applications without this simple communication courtesy will not be considered. Students should indicate what they want to get out of this summer experience.