Rules for Operations on Fractions
MULTIPLICATION & DIVISION
- There is NO LCD with multiplication or division (only with addition or subtraction).
- ALWAYS CANCEL FIRST.
- You can cancel vertically or diagonally, but you can ONLY cancel diagonally across a multiplication sign.
- NEVER CANCEL DIAGONALLY ACROSS A DIVISION SIGN, EQUAL SIGN, ADDITION SIGN OR SUBTRACTION SIGN.
ADDITION & SUBTRACTION
- STEPS with ADDITION & SUBTRACTION:
- Look at the denominator. Is it the same or different?
1. Find the LCD if the denominators are different.
a. To make the denominators the same, multiply each term by an appropriate form of “1”.
2. Add or subtract the numerators when the denominators are the SAME.
- NEVER ADD OR SUBTRACT DENOMINATORS.