OU Campus FAQ's
- What browsers can you use with OU Campus?
The most compatible browsers are Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. Internet Explorer v10 and v11 are also supported but may not be as reliable.
- Why can't I use the copy/cut/paste toolbar features in Firefox or Chrome browsers?
You can copy, cut and paste when using Firefox and Chrome but you have to use the keyboard shortcuts.
- What guidelines should I follow when naming image or document files?
There are a few things you should remember:
- keep the names as short as possible
- don't use any spaces or special characters (including periods or underscores)
- a dash (-) can be used, if needed, for separation
- don't use all CAPS, unless it includes an acronym
- Why won't my document upload?
The most common reasons: (1) you are not in your Documents folder or (2) your file is not named correctly.
- Is it better to link to a PDF or a Palm Beach State web page?
It is always better to link to a PBSC web page because you can use Dependency Manager which helps prevent broken links. PDF files are often updated and renamed and that can cause broken links, if you don't know to update your link to it.
- What is Dependency Manager and why do I have to use it?
Dependency Manager is very important because it will automatically update a link if the page happens to be moved or renamed. When creating a hyperlink, you browse and "find" the page you want to link to and OU Campus creates the code for you. This can only be used when linking to PBSC web pages. Specific directions are in the User Manual.
- Why won't Dependency Manager work? I can't see the page I want to link to.
When creating and working on new pages, always add links to that new page last. To use Dependency Manager, those new pages must be published first and then you will be able to see and link to them.
- The URL is so long that it won't fit where I want to put it. What should I do?
You should always use a "hidden link" unless the URL is short and you think people might remember it and type it in. Otherwise, you should always use a hidden link which looks much cleaner. People can mouse over it if they want to see the actual URL.
- What is a "hidden" link?
This is a link where you don't see the actual URL. This is the most common method and should be used most of the time.
- I want to edit my web page but I can't find it.
You should always go to the page you want to edit on the live site and then login to OU Campus using the copyright symbol. You will be taken directly to that page. To find a page once you are in OU Campus, you navigate using Content - Pages.
- I updated my page but I don't see the changes on the live site.
All changes must be submitted to be approved and published to the live site for them to show up.
- I used Overwrite and uploaded a new version of an already posted document but I don't
see the latest version on the live site. Do I need to send the page for approval?
No, when you use overwrite, the update is immediate. No approval or publish is needed and you don't have to touch the page where the link is. However, sometimes you will not see the latest version on your computer because of your browsing history. You can try deleting your browsing history but the easiest way to verify is to try the link in a different browser or ask someone around you to look at the live site to be sure the overwrite worked. Your computer will eventually catch up and see the latest version also.
- Do I need to use the default.aspx part of the url when I list it?
No, do not include the words default.aspx when listing a home page URL in print or on the Web. Default is the home page of each area so the system automatically knows to go to the home page of an area, unless further page info is provided.
- How do I get permissions in OU Campus to update my web pages?
You must complete OU Campus training. Register for online training. There is a limit on how many Web Maintainers can be trained per department.
- Why can't I see the image on a page? All I see is a red x.
That generally means the image was deleted from OU Campus which causes the link to that image to be broken. If it is your page, upload the image and then insert it again to the page. If it's not your page, contact Tish Sailer to fix it.
- When I upload an image - I can't always see it immediately in the list to select it.
Sometimes the list does not auto refresh. Click on another image and then you should be able to see the newly uploaded image and select it.
- Why can't I get a single line space? Every time I hit enter, it gives me a double
Double space is the default. You must hold the shift key and then enter to get a single line space.
- Why isn't my page coming up in the Search results?
You should enter keywords to help ensure your page comes up in Searches. Check your page out and then click the PROPERTIES tab to enter keywords and then save and send for approval.
- How do you "unpublish" a page so it won't show up on the live site.
You can't "unpublish a page" but you can remove any links to it so it won't show. And, you can request the page be deleted.
BEST PRACTICES ON HOW TO LIST URLs IN PRINT OR ON THE WEB:
1) Don't show the http:// or the default.aspx part (they are implied and the system knows it)
2) Capitalize the last part for easier reading
3) Send people to the home page of an area (the URL is shorter) and then they can click on what they want
NOTE: You DO need to show the .aspx part if you are pointing to a "subpage" of a folder. For example: