Tools & Resources
PBSC Online assists faculty in collaboratively enhancing their teaching and learning (pedagogy) through the innovative and effective use of technology. Because we continually research and explore instructional technology tools and best practice standards, we can assist you in identifying the best solutions to help you move forward with your teaching goals. We currently offer fully online support!
Supported Technology Tools and Resources
PBSC’s Media Storage and Delivery Platform
- Allows faculty to easily share video content
- Integrates seamlessly with Canvas
- Captures student viewing data for imported YouTube content
- Removes commercials from YouTube content
Kaltura Tutorial Resources
- Getting Started with Kaltura Guide
- PBSC Kaltura Tutorial Videos
- Integrate Course Introduction Videos into Canvas using Kaltura video recording of the 2021 PBSC Technology Summit Presentation by Dr. Robert Jones, Faculty Canvas Mentor, and Instructional Technology Design Specialist
Interactive PowerPoint Replacement for Engagement and Formative Assessment
- Live Online - Offers faculty a real-time way to verify that students are present and attentive (Faculty can award attendance points based on responses in Nearpod)
- Video Quizzes - Offers pre-designed videos with pre-embedded quiz questions. Features robust functions that aren't available in Kaltura video quizzes
- Interactivities – Facilitates polling, quizzing, collaboration and gamification
Please note that faculty must request access to utilize PBSC’s institutional Nearpod account.
Nearpod Tutorial Resources
- Getting Started with Nearpod Guide
- PBSC Nearpod Tutorial Videos
- Utilize Nearpod for Classroom Assessment Techniques (CATs) video recording of the 2021 PBSC Technology Summit Presentation by Professor Megan Tomei-Jameson
- Nearpod Webinar for PBSC Faculty video recording presented by Associate Professor Rachel McDermott
Video Platform for Virtual Instruction - Zoom Is Integrated in Canvas
Other instructional tech tools such as Kaltura MediaSpace and Nearpod can be utilized synchronously during a Zoom class session.
Zoom Tutorial Resources
- PBSC Zoom Help Guide for Faculty and Students
- PBSC Zoom Tutorial Videos
- Additional Knowledge Base Articles and Resources for Zoom (Valid PBSC login credentials required)
- PBSC's Institutional Zoom Website
Communications Platform - MS Teams Is Integrated in Canvas
Microsoft Teams includes videoconferencing, file storage, and application integration. Other instructional tech tools such as Kaltura MediaSpace and Nearpod can be utilized synchronously during a Teams meeting.
- Chat remains visible in the Teams app after class sessions end
- Recordings are easily grouped together in the Teams App
To request Microsoft Teams software installation or to create a new PBSC Team or new Private Channel in Teams, please contact PBSC Information Technology.
Microsoft Teams Tutorial Resources
Microsoft Flip (Formerly Flipgrid)
Video Discussion Thread Platform
- Enables students to express their thoughts and needs verbally rather than in writing
- Allows faculty to observe students’ gestures and expressions during discussions
- Helps build strong Communities of Inquiry with face-to-face communication, even in an asynchronous learning environment
- Enables asynchronous Virtual Help/Office Hours
Flip Tutorial Resources
Interactive Virtual Tours, Interactive 360º Video and Images for Active Learning
- Allows users to create branching visual learning explorations that combine video, audio, text, and images
- Enables creation of 360-degree image or video tours and instruction based on workspaces or laboratories
- Lets users create hotspots on timelines, maps, videos or images that incorporate text and multimedia
ThingLink Tutorial Resources
Centralized, Template-Driven Syllabus Platform
Simple Syllabus is PBSC’s required syllabus publication platform for courses in all modalities.
Simple Syllabus Tutorial Resources
Adobe Creative Cloud Express (formerly Adobe Spark)
Integrated Suite of Media Creation Applications
- Serves as a UDL tool for student choice in demonstration of learning
- Allows users to create slide-based videos with music and voiceover
- Offers templates for simple infographics
- Includes simple webpage designs
Adobe Creative Cloud Express Tutorial Resources
Articulate Interactive Learning Elements
Content Authoring Platform for Creating Interactive Learning Experiences and Software Simulations
- Enables creation of interactive formative assessments
- Allows for digital presentation of formerly static content
- Includes options for creating drag-and-drop exercises, matching and sorting exercises, Jeopardy-type quiz games, branching scenarios, virtual escape rooms, and more
Please note that support is required for all Articulate projects. PBSC Online will collaborate with you throughout the design and implementation process. To request consultation or assistance, please contact us at email@example.com.
Articulate Tutorial Resources
- Articulate website
Watermark Course Evaluations & Surveys
PBSC faculty can access their Watermark course evaluations via Canvas or via a PBSC email direct link (if a notification was sent by the primary administrator).
Watermark Tutorial Resources
- Quick Start Guide for PBSC Faculty and Administrators - Step-by-step instructions to view Watermark survey results
- Watermark Course Evaluations - Quick Video Tutorial for PBSC Faculty
For assistance with reports from the current semester, PBSC faculty can contact FacultyDevelopment@palmbeachstate.edu. For data requests prior to Fall 2023, please contact Institutional Research and Effectiveness at IRE@palmbeachstate.edu or 561-868-3275.
Technology Resources for Faculty to Share with Students
Many technology resources are available to assist students with coursework. The following is a partial list faculty may provide for students.
Kaltura for Students - PBSC’s Media Storage and Delivery Platform
Microsoft Office Download Instructions (for Students to Download MS Office on a Personal
PBSC currently does not offer Office Online or OneDrive access for students. However, students can download Microsoft Office applications with a valid Palm Beach State College institutional email account. For all support questions related to MS Office, please contact PBSC Information Technology.
- Download and Install MS Office Instructions (Valid PBSC login credentials required)
QR Code Monkey - Free QR Code Creation Tool for Easy Access to Web Content
- QR Code Monkey website
Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)
Palm Beach State College utilizes Two-Factor Authentication (also known as 2FA). 2FA provides additional security to online accounts. After entering your PBSC login credentials you may be asked to authenticate with additional methods. Those methods may include a phone call or authentication through a mobile app. All students, faculty, and staff are required to enroll in 2FA. For all support questions related to 2FA, please contact PBSC Information Technology.
Zoom - Video Platform for Virtual Instruction