Dress for Success
Business Attire Rules
- A conservative, well-fitting skirt or pant suit in dark blue, black, gray, pinstripe, or dark brown
- A professionally laundered and conservative blouse or dress shirt and matching tie and natural colored hosiery
- Shoes should be traditional business style, such as closed toe, closed heel conservative pumps or shined dress shoes
- Hair should be neatly groomed with long hair pulled up or back
- Freshly shaven face with hair that is recently trimmed
- Moderate conservative and non-distracting jewelry
- Minimal make-up (applied for daytime standards)
- Neatly pressed casual pants (khakis) or skirts (knee length) in solid with darker colors preferred (black, gray, navy, brown and khaki). If wearing a skirt, it is recommended to wear hose (note: this is determined by location or venue and climate)
- Shirts/blouses should be tailored to fit with no undergarments/cleavage showing. The shirt can be long-sleeved or short sleeved with a collar (long-sleeved shirts can appear more conservative). Polo shirts are acceptable in most business casual situations.
- Ties are optional for collared shirts (lean towards a conservative tie).
- The outfit should not be too tight or too loose and a skirt should not be too short or revealing.
- Complement the outfit with a sweater or use sweater sets that are appropriate for business casual occasions. A structured blazer can also compliment the look, but not required.
- Shoes should be closed toe and closed heel conservative shoes, however this can be inclusive of sandals that are classy and conservative.
- Shoes should be in good repair and can be comfortable, but not flip flops or athletic shoes.
- Hair should be clean and neatly groomed with a freshly shaven face.
- Moderate conservative, non-distracting jewelry and minimal make-up (applied for daytime standards).
- Check socks in bright daylight to be sure they are a matching pair. Socks, shoes and belt should match in color.
What to Avoid
- Clothing that does not fit properly or clothing that is wrinkled
- Strong perfume or cologne, but always wear deodorant
- Distracting jewelry or accessories
- Attire that exposes visible tattoos or piercings
- Clothing that smells of smoke
- Clothing that is too much of anything (e.g. too loose, too revealing, too tight, etc..) – at the end of the day, it is just too much
- Clothing or shoes that are in disrepair
- Ripped or oversized jeans, sweatpants, or shorts
- Clothing that shows or exposes undergarments
- Muscle shirts, tank tops or any shirt that is too tight
- Women's Business Formal Vs. Casual [Video]
- Men's Business Formal Vs. Casual [Video]
- Panther's Closet
Panther’s Closet (located on Lake Worth Campus SCC 153) offers students quality professional clothing at affordable prices. $1 each! All proceed benefit Palm Beach State College students.