Make a Gift to PBSC
|STEAM 2020||GOLF CLASSIC 2020||MAKE A GIFT||PLANNED GIVING||DONOR RECOGNITION||SCHOLARSHIPS||MEET THE STAFF||FORMS|
Thank you for your interest in supporting Palm Beach State College. Education is the key to change and progress and to the economic viability of our community. Your commitment to this partnership will allow us to prepare for the challenges of tomorrow and serve the needs of our students for generations to come.
Palm Beach State College Foundation is recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c)3, tax exempt organization, thereby permitting donors to deduct charitable contributions intended for the College to the extent allowed by law.
You can make an online gift at your convenience or read more about the available Giving Options.
Ways to Give
Note on outright cash gifts or cash gifts pledged over time: Due to the allowable charitable income tax deduction, the final out-of-pocket cost of a cash contribution may be significantly less than the actual dollar amount of the gift. Larger gifts, spread over a period of up to five years, may provide tax advantages to you. You may elect to fulfill a pledge through a combination of cash, securities, insurance and a planned gift.
Direct a Gift - Choose your area of impact
Your gift may also be designated to many different areas of the college.
Your ongoing support makes a difference
The Annual Fund is the lifeblood of the Palm Beach State College Foundation, providing a steady source of revenue for the Foundation and offering a series of benefits for the donors.
An annual club gift can be earmarked for a specific purpose or used for general operations. Here is a list of giving levels and corresponding members benefits for donors:
President's Club ($5,000+)
- Prominent name placement on a placard at all four campus locations
- Invitation to annual Holiday celebration with the College president, Foundation executive director and philanthropic peers
- Invitation to all special events
Provost's Club ($1,000 -- $4,999)
- Prominent name placement on a placard at all four campus locations
- Invitation to annual scholarship luncheon
Dean's Club ($500 -- $999)
- Placement of name on a placard at all four campus locations
A Simple Contract
A charitable gift annuity is a simple contract between you and the Palm Beach State College Foundation. The Foundation pays you a set amount of annuity (income) for the rest of your life in exchange for a one-time gift of cash or securities. This creates an immediate federal charitable tax deduction and other possible tax benefits.
Income for Life
The rate paid to you is determined by your age; higher rates are paid to older donors. You may have as many contracts as desired opened at various stages of your life, with a different rate established for each contract. The Foundation uses rates established by the American Council on Gift Annuities (ACGA) which reviews the rates annually to determine competitiveness. Visit www.acga-web.org/ to view current rates.
Substantial Tax Benefits
A charitable gift annuity can create significant income tax benefits, including a charitable contribution tax deduction, ordinary income tax savings and reduced capital gains – if the contract is funded with highly appreciated assets, such as stocks or bonds.
Charitable Gift Annuities donors must be at least 55 years of age. The minimum gift is $10,000 cash or cash equivalent (no real estate).
- Creates a lifelong income and retirement peace of mind
- Creates an immediate charitable contribution tax deduction
- Helps support higher education in our community
- Can create additional tax benefits
Questions & Answers
1) Are there any disadvantages to creating a charitable gift annuity?
No, but a donor must remember that establishing a charitable gift annuity is an irrevocable transfer. That is your money can never be returned or refunded.
2) Can I add to my charitable gift annuity later?
No. Each contract is set for life, producing income and tax benefits unique to its creation. However, donors may own as many individual charitable gift annuities as desired.
3) How does Palm Beach State benefit?
The College invests the amount you transfer (your gift) to establish the charitable gift annuity. This is combined with other donor gifts to create a pool which provides interest to pay you income. The College Foundation retains your original gift upon your death. This money is used to support the college’s mission of providing open-access to higher education. The Foundation raises funds to provide student scholarships, support programs such as nursing and paramedic and assist in construction of new classroom buildings when necessary.
4) What is the best asset(s) to use to fund a charitable gift annuity?
The answer depends upon your personal financial situation. If you use highly appreciated securities you can avoid the capital gains tax on the appreciated value. A portion of the annuity payments (income) will be tax free, while the remainder is taxed as ordinary income.
5) How can I learn more about creating a charitable gift annuity?
Contact the Palm Beach State College Foundation or your professional financial advisor.
6) What are the benefits from opening a charitable gift annuity?
- Immediate federal tax charitable deduction
- Guaranteed fixed annual income for life – for up to two annuitants
- Your estate may enjoy reduced probate costs and estate taxes
- If you fund the contract with appreciated stock, bond or mutual fund, a portion of the income will be considered a capital gain distribution.
- Your gift will generously support Palm Beach State to continue its important work
7) Should I consult with my financial advisor?
Definitely. Your financial advisor can help determine the best method for you to use to fund the charitable gift annuity. For instance, if funded with cash your donation is deductible up to 50% of your adjusted gross income (SGI). Gifts of long-term, appreciated securities are deductible up to 30% of your AGI. If your income is not sufficient to use the entire deduction in one year, you can carry forward the unused portion for up to 5 years.
8) How is the annuity rate determined?
Palm Beach State Foundation follows the recommended rates established by the American Council on Gift Annuities. The group meets bi-annually to review the rates. The older the donor, the more income you can receive.
For more information contact The Foundation Office at (561) 868-3450
Corporate Partnership: business and industry reaching out to build a better community.
One of the benefits of a college foundation is working with business and industry leaders.
Our Strategic Corporate Partners program offers a range of opportunities that successfully integrate community giving with the marketing goals of businesses and corporations.
- Strategic Partner Sponsor - Align your business needs with the College and reach key stakeholders to advance your business, product and or service.
- Multiplatform Sponsor- Get company exposure across multiple audiences and programs, ranging from event underwriting to naming opportunities.
- Scholarship Fund Sponsor- Empower a first generation in college student to be the first in their family to
complete a college degree program -
"Thanks to this scholarship, I am the first in my family to attend college. What this means is that the lives of my family and future generations will change forever."
- Program Enhancement Sponsor - Raise the bar of a program's technology and/or curriculum from basic to cutting edge - help upgrade equipment, labs, classrooms, computers, software and more.
- Athletics Teams Sponsorship - Get company exposure and logo recognition with athletic field/scoreboard signage or sponsoring select home games for promotional purposes.
- Arts and Humanities Sponsor - Sponsorship available at Eissey Campus Theatre, Duncan Theatre and Dolly Hand Cultural
Theatre Series Sponsor - Sponsor a season series or an individual performance and receive
exposure with the local arts community.
Art Gallery Exposition Sponsor - Sponsor an exhibition (running 4-6 weeks) at either the Lake Worth
or Eissey campus galleries.
- Event Sponsor- Underwrite strategic College and Foundation events, including the Golf Classic, Health Fair, Hispanic Heritage Month, Earth Day, Holocaust Remembrance, Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Breakfast, the Green Expo and various student activities events throughout the year.
- Naming Opportunities- Available for major College assets, including key programs and facilities. Considered on a case-by-case basis.
Through a Palm Beach State corporate sponsorship your company can support meaningful programs and partnerships that help develop quality professionals in the communities in which we live and work.
For more information contact Ana Thomas, director of corporate relations, at (561) 868-3569.
The power to change lives is the heart of our mission
When a scholarship is awarded to a student, you are forever altering that student's future. It may be one of the most rewarding things you do in your life. You can fund a scholarship or make a gift to the general scholarship fund.
First Generation in College (FGIC) Scholarships
Through legislative action, FGIC scholarship fund specifically supports those students who demonstrate financial need and whose parents have not earned a baccalaureate degree. Make your contribution to the FGIC and it will get matched dollar for dollar (100%) by the state legislature to distribute these resources to the students who represent the first generation in college for their families.
Annual Scholarships ($2,500+)
These are funded yearly and money is distributed to students that same year, so your dollars are immediately applied to education. A five-year commitment is all it takes to establish a naming scholarship in your or someone else's honor.
Endowed Scholarships ($25,000+)
This is a long-term scholarship plan in which your contribution is invested into a growth fund. The interest is then used to fund scholarships. A minimum dollar amount is required to establish this type of scholarship.
Support an existing Scholarship
You may have a strong desire to support a particular program scholarship fund already established. View the existing scholarship list, which contains a brief description of the scholarship's purpose. Contact us to allocate your gift to a specific fund.
A Case for Giving
A major gift is transformative and can touch every corner of the College. A major gift allows us to promote excellence in PBSC's programs, recruit and retain the most deserving and brightest students and attract and support top-notch faculty. Major gifts have provided desperately needed scholarships, taken a program to a new level and provided financial stability to a signature program. A major gift is lasting: it can provide support in perpetuity through establishing an endowment fund.
Why consider a major gift?
- to make a difference-for a student, a department, a facility or a program.
- to remember someone you love or respect-by naming a scholarship, a program -even a building.
- to maintain an interest or affinity in a particular program you want to see grow and succeed.
- to show your gratitude for the PBSC experience.
- to demonstrate your leadership and your support for higher education in Palm Beach County.
- to challenge others to give
- to support your financial or estate planning through philanthropic tax advantages.
- to be recognized and join your peers in giving. At PBSC, we believe there are compelling reasons for each of our alumni and friends to give.
When you decide to give, you will have many opportunities to make a difference.
Where will your gift go?
You may target your gift to a specific area or you may give an unrestricted gift for the College to use for its greatest need.
What type of gift should you make?
There are many ways to give, including some that result in great financial benefit for you and your family.
How will we recognize your gift?
We are proud of our supporters and have established giving societies and other forms of recognition to say thank you.
How can you make a gift?
To learn more about the many opportunities to give, please contact the Foundation Office at email@example.com, or call 561-868-3450.
A promise of great benevolence, your gift to future generations
Some of the most important gifts to the Palm Beach State Foundation have been planned years in advance and contributed posthumously. Some key donors choose to make the Foundation a beneficiary in their will. Others establish special trusts that offer considerable tax advantages while the donor is still living.
When you choose to make a contribution, the Foundation works with you to ensure your wishes are fulfilled. There are several types of planned giving programs:
- Simple bequests - You name the Palm Beach State College Foundation as a beneficiary in your will.
- Charitable Gift Annuities - This is a contract between you and the Palm Beach State Foundation. You make one-time
irrevocable gift of cash or securities and the Foundation agrees to pay you a designated
amount of income.
- Real Estate - You can donate property.
- Lead Trust
There are several different ways you can use Planned Giving to support Palm Beach State College while also meeting your needs and achieving maximum charitable tax deductions. Visit the Palm Beach State College Planned Giving website for more information.
For more information contact Rochelle Nolan, Director of Gift Planning, at (561) 868-3570.
For more information, contact The Foundation Office at (561) 868-3450.