Skip to the main content

The Center for Student Accessibility (CSA)

(formerly known as Disability Support Services)



If you are a student with a disability that impacts your success in the classroom, this web site is designed to inform you about the basic services offered by this department. Our staff is dedicated to the mission of serving our students.


Documentation Guidelines

In order to receive accommodations from The Center for Student Accessibility (CSA), you must provide documentation verifying eligibility under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Although specific documentation requirements vary depending on the type of disability, the following guidelines apply:

  • Documentation must indicate which major life activity or activities your disability affects. It must include a diagnosis of the disability or condition and explain any limitations you may have.

  • Documentation must be recent in order to reflect the current impact of the disability on the individual's academic performance.

  • Documentation should indicate the accommodations that are appropriate for your particular disability.  If you request accommodations that are not substantiated in your documentation, we may request additional documentation that indicates that the accommodation you are requesting is reasonable.  If you sign an Information Release form, we may be able to obtain the additional information we need. If further testing is needed, you are responsible for scheduling and paying for the testing.

  • If you are taking medications related to your disability, your documentation should include information about how the medication affects your ability to sleep, attend class, concentrate, etc.

Other considerations:

Accommodations can not be granted retroactively. They are applicable from the date the eligible student registers with CSA and presents his or her accommodations notification letter to the instructor of record.

If you received services in high school, you should have an Individual Education Plan (IEP) or a 504 plan. While these are tools we can use to help determine appropriate accommodations, they are not considered adequate documentation. These tools should be included with your documentation, but the documentation itself will need to be provided by a licensed professional.

If you have been diagnosed with a learning disability, do not have thorough documentation, and it seems evident that you would benefit from accommodations, you may receive services on a provisional basis for one semester.  Provisional services are granted on a case-by-case basis.


How to Register with The Center for Student Accessibility

Disclosure of a disability is voluntary. If you have a disability that you may need services, accommodations or access, please follow these four easy steps:

  1. Make an appointment with The Center for Student Accessibility (CSA) coordinator or adviser on the campus you will be attending.
  2. Submit current documentation from a qualified professional to support disability claim prior to meeting with CSA coordinator or adviser.
  3. Complete intake process at the meeting with adviser.
  4. Request services each term (Minimum of 3 weeks’ notice) through CSA.


Accommodations & Services

When a student meets for an intake interview with the campus CSA Manager, the disability related documentation will be reviewed to determine which accommodations and/or services are appropriate. Please note - in compliance with Section 504 and the ADA, the College is not responsible for providing personal services (personal attendants, typing, readers for personal use, transportation) or individually prescribed devices. Accommodations include, but are not limited to:

  • Priority registration
  •  Note taking assistance
  •  Extended time for testing
  •  Readers and/or scribes
  •  Adaptive technology
  •  Reduced course load
  •  Sign Language interpreter services
  •  TABE waiver



Disability related information is treated under strict rules of confidentiality. The Center for Student Accessibility will not release documentation or the exact nature of the disability without the student's permission.

Contact & Location Info

Belle Glade - CRA 1053
Michael Shatara, Student Development Outreach Adviser
Phone: 561-993-1182

Boca Raton - AD 135
Topeka Zigler, Disability Support Services Adviser
Phone: 561-862-4314  |  Fax: 561-862-4320

Lake Worth - CT 111
Jelecia Kirk, Disability Support Services Manager
Phone: 561-868-3046  |  Fax: 561-868-3047

Loxahatchee Groves - LGA 103
John Maloney, Student Development & Disability Support Adviser
Phone: 561-790-9021

Palm Beach Gardens - BR 131
John J Kiefer, Disability Support Services Manager
Phone: 561-207-5346  |  Fax: 561-207-5347

District - SCA 132
Dr. Kathleen S. Karran-McCoy, Dean of Student Development & Ombudsman and ADA/Title II and Section 504 Coordinator
Phone: 561-868-3371  |  Fax: 561-868-3141

Print page