Skip to the main content

Registration for summer term is open! Classes begin May 15, 2024. Attend class in person, virtually or both | Get started now

Education Benefits: FAQs

Applying for the GI Bill®

How do I apply for the GI Bill®?
Students must apply using the standard GI Bill® forms or they can apply online through

How long does the process take?

When applying for benefits, allow the VA four to eight weeks for your application to be processed.



What form do I use?
If this is your first time applying for GI Bill® benefits, complete Form 22-1990; for others (dependent/spouse) complete Form 22-5490 online.

What other forms do I provide?

For all active duty students, you must attach a copy of your form “DD-214”. For non-active duty (reservists/guards) you must attach a copy of your “NOBE” Notice of Basic Eligibility. For all others (dependent’s proof of birth certificate or marriage certificate for spouse). This information can be submitted to the VA via fax at 918-781-7863.

How do I check the status of my submitted application?

Call 1-888-442-4551 or 1-888-GIBILL-1.

When do I use form “22-1995” or “22-5495”?

A Form 22-1995 (for veterans) or Form 22- 5495 (for dependent/spouse) should be used if the student changes major/objective, transfers from another institution, or when the last enrollment has been over a year ago. These forms are available at

I want to use my benefits again this semester. What do I do?

Upon registration, all VA students must complete a Veteran’s Certification Request (VCR) form, have their Pathway Advisor sign the form and turn in to one of PBSC’s School Certifying Officials. Failure to complete a VCR on time will cause a delay of payment.

Does the VA pay for my tuition and fees?

Yes. The VA pays tuition and fees for Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) and Vocational Rehab (Chapter 31) and the Fry Scholarship (Dependent Gold Star Program)

Is my program approved for benefits?

All degree programs are approved by the VA. For non-credit, certificate, and CCP Programs contact one of PBSC’s School Certifying Officials.

Do I get credit for courses I am taking that are not required for my major?

NO. The VA does not pay you for courses not required for your major. Courses must be either a prerequisite for your major/program or required for that major/program. However, the VA has a Round Out benefit that allows veterans and dependents to take courses out of their degree program if they are graduating within that semester.

Can I sign up for direct deposit?

You sign up for direct deposit on your application for benefits. VA Form 22-1990 or 22-5690.

How do I verify my enrollment and how often should I do it?

You must verify your enrollment at the end of each month if you are using CH 30, or CH 1606 benefits. To verify enrollment by phone, call 1-877-823-2378, or go to

Can I apply for student financial aid while receiving VA benefits?

Yes. You can apply via the web by going to the federal website FAFSA Online.

How much money will I get each month?

Education benefit payment rates vary depending on your chapter. Go to this website to look at your current year rates.

Do I need to meet the Standards of Progress to qualify for VA benefits?



Standards of Progress

Palm Beach State College has established the following standards of progress for all veterans or eligible persons receiving VA benefits to comply with Veterans Administration regulations:

1. Complete academic records are maintained on each veteran who is certified as eligible for benefits under the public laws. The records must show continuous pursuit of a degree and the rate at which progress is being made. They include final grades in each subject for each term, record of withdrawal from any subject to include the last day of attendance for a course and record of enrollment in subjects from which there was a withdrawal.

2. Complete academic records are maintained on previous college-level academic training, and these records indicate the amount of credit accepted that proportionately shortens the training period. The record is cumulative in that it shows the results of each term of enrollment, subjects taken and grades earned.

3. Students receiving VA benefits should note that excessive absences would result in termination of benefits. A veteran or other eligible student will be subject to the attendance criteria covered in this catalog. CCP students with absences totaling more than the equivalent of 10 percent of the total hours for the enrollment period will result in the student being terminated from receipt of VA benefits due to unsatisfactory attendance.

4. Policies relative to standards of conduct and progress required of the student are enforced. All students must adhere to the College Academic Standards of Progress found in the College Catalog: CCP students who fail to maintain progress are not permitted to continue enrollment in the program and would not, therefore, be certified as eligible to receive benefits.

5. A notice of change in enrollment status will be sent to Veterans Administration when the student withdraws from a course during the term or changes status.

6. CCP students are expected to complete a program within the number of training hours approved by the State Approving Agency for Veterans Training. Likewise, the state requirement for Basic Skills must be met for the particular program. If at any point it is determined that a student cannot successfully complete the program within the approved number of hours, the student’s VA benefits will be terminated because of unsatisfactory progress.

7. CCP students at the end of any evaluation period who have not attained and maintained satisfactory progress (70 percent or above on written exams and passing or above on all skills and technical requirements) will be placed on academic probation for the next evaluation period. Should the student not attain and maintain satisfactory progress by the end of the probationary period (one evaluation period), the student’s VA benefits will be terminated due to unsatisfactory progress.

Note: It is the responsibility of the veteran to advise the Veterans Affairs Office of any changes in status, i.e., address, withdrawal from class, etc.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Print page