PBSC Center for Cyber Defense
|MEET OUR FACULTY||CYBERSECURITY NEWS||INTERNAL/EXTERNAL EVENTS||INTERNSHIP & SCHLOARSHIP INFO||HELPFUL RESOURCES||ADVISORY BOARD & PARTNERS||STUDENT CLUBS & ORGANIZATIONS|
Cybersecurity Path at PBSC
Defending against cybercrime, together
Cyberattacks happen every day and pose a serious challenge to our nation, businesses and individuals. Everyone must harden their defenses. Nobody is immune.
PBSC stands ready to train future cybersecurity professionals and support the community with resources to tackle these growing threats to our data, infrastructure and safety.
- Prepare students with the latest tools and technologies to enter the high-demand cybersecurity workforce.
- Engage the community and promote the safe use of technology and the internet to build a stronger, less vulnerable population.
- Collaborate with public and private entities to build strong partnerships that enhance everyone’s ability to defend against cyberattacks.
For more information about the Cybersecurity program, please contact Dr. Theo Owusu.
Email: email@example.com | Phone: 561-868-4120
Explore Our Cybersecurity Program
Your pathway to a high-demand, highly paid cybersecurity career
Whether you are just graduating from high school, changing careers, or already working in the computer industry, Palm Beach State delivers what you need to succeed. In Palm Beach State College’s 2+2 cybersecurity pathway, students start with a two-year associate degree and build the foundation to enter PBSC’s two-year Bachelor of Applied Science degree in Information Management with a concentration in Security and Network Assurance.
Those with equivalent credits may also be considered for this bachelor’s degree program.
College Credit Certificate programs in network security and other relevant topics
provide a path for those who already have a degree or who need additional workforce
College Credit Certificates*
- Network Security
- Plus, several other networking certificates
- Each: 9-18 months for completion
* Ideal for those who already have a degree or want a faster route to employment. Credits transfer to A.S. degree.
Associate in Science Degree
- Networking Administrator (Two Years)
Associate in Arts Degree
- Information Technology Track (Two Years)
Bachelor of Applied Science Degree
- Information Management
- Concentration: Security and Network Assurance (Two Years)
AT A GLANCE
To stay ahead of ever-evolving cyber threats, organizations are investing in information security personnel.
- Develop plans to safeguard computer files against accidental or unauthorized modification, destruction, or disclosure and to meet emergency data processing needs.
- Monitor current reports of computer viruses to determine when to update virus protection systems.
- Encrypt data transmissions and erect firewalls to conceal confidential information as it is being transmitted and to keep out tainted digital transfers.
- Perform risk assessments and execute tests of data processing system to ensure functioning of data processing activities and security measures.
- Modify computer security files to incorporate new software, correct errors, or change individual access status.
Total Program Credits: 120
Articulates from existing Associates in Science/Associates in Applied Science degrees in the computer science field. The core curriculum includes coursework in project management, systems design and programming, business law, finance and business writing.
This program is offered at the Lake Worth campus.
For detailed information and course descriptions, please see the College Catalog.
Total Credit Hours: 120
|FIN3400||Principles of Financial Management (BAS)||3 credits (3 lecture hours)|
|ISM3113||Systems Analysis and Design (BAS)||3 credits (3 lecture hours)|
|COP3530||Programming Languages and Concepts (BAS)||3 credits (3 lecture hours)|
FIN3400: Course from existing Supervision & Management BAS degree
|GEB3213||Business Writing (BAS)||3 credits (3 lecture hours)|
|BUL3130||Legal and Ethical Environment of Business (BAS)||3 credits (3 lecture hours)|
GEB3213 and BUL3130: Courses from existing Supervision & Management BAS degree
|ISM3212||Database Management Systems (BAS)||3 credits (3 lecture hours)|
|ISM3314||Project Management (BAS)||3 credits (3 lecture hours)|
|CNT4408||Information System Security (BAS)||3 credits (3 lecture hours)|
|CNT4406||Network Security and Cryptography (BAS)||3 credits (3 lecture hours)|
|ISM4320||Applications in Information Security (BAS)||3 credits (3 lecture hours)|
|ISM4220||Business Data Communications, Telecommunications/Network (BAS)||3 credits (3 lecture hours)|
|ISM4323||Security Management (BAS)||3 credits (3 lecture hours)|
|ISM4324 or GEB4940C||Computer Forensics (BAS) or Bachelor's Internship (BAS)||3 credits (3 lecture hours) or 3 credits (1 lecture hour, 14 lab hours)|
|ISM4331||Capstone Experience: Security and Network Assurance (BAS)||3 credits (3 lecture hours)|
Palm Beach State College’s Cybersecurity Lab allows students to engage in real-world simulations to strengthen their cyber defense skills.
The vision for the Cybersecurity Lab is to:
- Enhance and support the training and education of Cyber Security students in both onsite and on line environments.
- Collaborate with public and private entities to ensure the labs relevance.
- Play a vital role in producing workplace ready graduates.
Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday: 10:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
If Lab currently locked or to schedule an appointment contact Cyberlab Manager at CBP 104 or call 561-868-4133 or 954-709-8238.
Explore Our State of the Art Cybersecurity Lab
Tell Us About Your Experience Using the Lab
The Palm Beach State College Information Security Office offers the opportunity to get informed in Cybersecurity and current research.
The Phish Tank provides PBSC users with a self‐service way to determine if an email they have received
is a known phishing attempt.
Get More Information
Why professional certifications are important
Certifications make a great first impression.
- 92% believe IT certifications help to ensure credibility of IT employees.
- 91% of employers believe IT certifications play a key role in the hiring process and that IT certifications are a reliable predictor of a successful employee.
- 67% of employers use certifications to measure a candidate’s willingness to work hard and meet a goal.
- 60% of employers use certifications to confirm subject matter expertise.
Get More Information
Information Security Workforce Study
- Conducted by Frost & Sullivan
- Tremendous job opportunities for anyone who takes the time to prepare.
- Based on the Bureau of Labor Statistics site, 37% job growth is expected between 2012- 2022 with a median salary of $86,170 with a bachelor's degree.
- All industries are affected from non-profit to government, hospitals to retail magnates and every technology dependent industry in-between.
- Has defined seven high-level function areas with 31 specialty areas that correspond to career paths in cybersecurity.
- This map explain the skills and competencies needed to land a job in the field as well as the location of job openings.
Bachelor's Degree Student Benefits
- Take many of your courses online.
- Fit school into your schedule using any computer with an Internet connection.
- 24/7 access to course content
- high-quality online learning
- exciting--video, simulations, group activities, virtual discussion rooms and more.
- Fully supported by a dedicated eLearning staff
- ideal way to fit education into a busy life.
Bachelor of Applied Science Degree in Security and Network Assurance
- Students have the choice to mix and match online and face-to-face classes.
- All Bachelor's level classes are offered online.
- Face-to-face classes are offered during the day and evening as well as some weekends, although not all classes are offered at all times.
- Face-to-face classes are held at the Center for Bachelor's Programs on the Lake Worth campus.