Skip to the main content

Registration for spring courses is open! Attend class in person, virtually or both | Get started now

College Closings and Leave

To be paid for the holiday or break, non-unit employees must be in paid status before and after the holiday or break in accordance with Board Policy #6HX-18-5.12.

College Closing Dates
Observance 2021 Schedule 2022 Schedule*
Martin Luther King, Jr. January 18 January 17
Spring Break March 8 - 12 March 7 - 13
Spring Holiday April 2 April 15
Memorial Day May 31 May 30
Independence Day July 4* July 4
Labor Day September 6 September 5
Veterans Day November 11 November 11
Thanksgiving Break November 25 - 26 November 24 - 25
Winter Break December 17 - January 2 December 21 - January 2

* Note: Holidays which fall outside of an employee's regularly scheduled shift are unpaid

If January 2 falls on a Monday, the College will be closed on January 2.
If January 2 falls on a Friday, the College will be closed on January 2, 3, and 4.
If January 2 falls on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, the College will be open on January 2.
Faculty return dates are subject to the Academic Calendar.

Summer Schedule Guidelines

A four day Summer work week is subject to annual approval of the President's Cabinet.

Effective 08/08/2022

Employees who are fully vaccinated* for COVID may be eligible for up to two weeks (up to 80 hours based on the current work schedule) of paid COVID sick time. The sick time will be at the employee's regular rate of pay.

In order to qualify the employee must:

  • Be too ill to work or telework due to COVID;
  • Provide documentation of the positive COVID test from a testing center or medical provider (at-home test will not be considered) for the initial week (up to 40 hours);
  • Provide documentation of a second positive COVID test from a testing center or medical provider 5 days after the previous positive test (at-home test will not be considered) for the second week;
  • Provide proof of COVID vaccination showing the employee's name, type of vaccine and date(s) of vaccination; and
  • Submit the request below including complete and acceptable documentation within 30 days of the need for COVID leave.

Unvaccinated employees must use their own sick time. If no sick time is available, the employee will be unpaid.

Employees testing positive will be required to provide a negative COVID test or physician's clearance to in order to return. Extended periods of serious illness may qualify eligible employees for Family Medical Leave.

* Fully vaccinated: two shots of Pfizer or Moderna, or one shot of Johnson & Johnson.

To request COVID paid leave:

  1. On Workday, type "create request" in the search bar,
  2. Select "COVID" in the Request Type and
  3. Select "COVID-19 Sick Leave - Employee."
  4. Fill in the required fields and attach documentation.
  5. Note the specific dates and hours you were too ill to work in the comments section.

Once submitted, you may view the status in your Workday Inbox Archive tab.

Please note that payroll will not adjust for paid COVID sick time until processing paychecks for the applicable pay period is in progress.

In accordance with District Board of Trustees Policy 5.02 “Annual Vacation Leave for 12-month Full-time Employees” accrue vacation each month of continuous full-time service as follows:

  • Less than First 5 Years: 1 day of vacation leave for each calendar month.
  • Next 5 Years: 1¼ days of vacation leave for each calendar month.
  • More than Over 10 Years: 1½ days of vacation leave for each calendar month.

The maximum amount that can be carried over each calendar year is 400 hours.

Vacation usage is subject to department policy and supervisor approval.

For assistance entering time in Workday: Workday Job Aids

Payout of vacation time upon separation for non-grant employess is in accordance with policy and subject to the provisions of the College's Special Pay Plan.

Sick Leave
Full-time employees accrue one sick day per month. Sick leave shall be cumulative from year to year. Sick leave may also be used for illness or death of father, mother, brother, sister, husband, wife, child or other close relative or member of the employee's own household.  For further information refer to Board Policy #6Hx-18-5.03.

Employees may use a maximum of four personal leave days during each fiscal year to be charged to the employee’s unused sick leave time. Personal leave days do not accumulate from year to year. For further information refer to Board Policy #6Hx-18-5.09.

Payout of sick time upon separation for non-grant employess is in accordance with policy and subject to the provisions of the College's Special Pay Plan.

Sick Leave Pool
The Sick Leave Pool is intended to be used by eligible employees to assist in covering the gap between the exhaustion of all accumulated paid leave and the 90-day waiting period until long-term disability insurance benefits may become effective. Any full-time employee shall be eligible for participation in the Pool provided that the employee has been employed with the college for one (1) year and has accumulated 40 hours of unused sick leave after the employee's donation to the Pool. Participation in the Pool is voluntary. As outlined in Board Policy 6Hx-18-5.031, eligible full-time employees may submit a Sick Leave Pool Enrollment Form during benefits open enrollment which occurs in the month of October each year.  Details regarding the program can be found in the Sick Leave Pool Procedures.

A member of the Pool can request time from the Pool in full day increments, if he/she cannot return to work because of a serious health condition, as defined under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and the employee has exhausted all accrued leave. In order to request time from the Pool, participants need to complete the Sick Leave Pool Request Form and submit it to the Office of Human Resources with the required medical documentation

A full-time non-unit employee may be granted an Extended Medical Leave of Absence for up to six calendar months for their own illness. Extended Medical leave will include any Family Medical Leave for which the employee is qualified to receive. Family Medical Leave rules as described in Board Policy #6Hx-18-5.131 will apply during any period of time when an Extended Leave of Absence and Family Medical Leave are concurrent. For further information refer to Board Policy #6Hx-18-5.13.

The College will grant up to 12 weeks of family medical leave to eligible employees within a 12-month period. Employees are eligible if they have worked for the College for at least one year and have worked at least 1,250 hours during the past twelve months. Employees may use Family Medical Leave on a continuous or intermittent basis as verified by the physician during the 12-month period that begins on the first date that the employee uses Family Medical Leave. During Family Medical Leave, the College will continue to provide medical, dental, and basic life insurance coverage at the same level of contributions and benefits as before the leave. Family Medical Leave usage will be concurrent with other paid leave and all paid leave must be exhausted before unpaid leave is granted.

To request FMLA employees must set up an appointment with a benefits representative by clicking here or send an email to to initiate the process. 

The College will grant up to 26 weeks of leave to eligible employees within a 12-month period for the purpose of caring for a family member (spouse, son, daughter, parent or next of kin) for the following purposes: (A) An active duty service member who is recovering from a serious illness or injury sustained in the line of duty. (B) A veteran who is undergoing medical treatment, recuperation or therapy for a serious injury or illness that occurred in the line of duty for five years preceding the date of treatment. For further information refer to Board Policy #6Hx-18-5.131.

An employee is provided coverage for lost wages and medical expenses that result from a job related accident or illness in accordance with the Workers' Compensation laws of the State of Florida.

District Board of Trustees Policy 6Hx-18-5.07 "Illness in the Line of Duty Leave" allows full-time employees up to five (5) duty days of full compensation for absences due to on-the-job illnesses or injuries which are determined necessary by a certified workers' compensation physician. For further information refer to Board Policy #6Hx-18-5.07 and the Worker's Compensation web page.

Full-time or regular part-time employees who are summoned as a member of a jury panel or subpoenaed as a witness, not involving litigation in which the employee is principal, will be granted leave with pay once documentation of the service is submitted through Workday. Any jury/witness fees will may be retained by the employee. The College will not reimburse the employee for meals, lodging and travel expenses incurred while serving as a juror. If an employee is subpoenaed in the line of duty to appear in court as a witness or defendant for a College related matter, the time in court is considered a part of a normal work assignment. The employee shall be paid per diem, if eligible, and travel expenses. In no case shall leave with pay be granted for court attendance when an employee is engaged in personal litigation in which the employee is a principal. For further information refer to Board Policy #6Hx-18-5.38.

For assistance with a leave request for court purposes, Workday Job Aids

Military Leave shall be granted to Federal active, inactive or training employees in the military reserve, including the National Guard and the Florida National Guard, in accordance with Federal Law and Florida Statutes. For further information refer to Board Policy #6Hx-18-5.08.

Before an employee leaves to perform military service, including training, active duty, and other responsibilities, an employee must provide the College with advance notice in order to be eligible for reemployment. The notice can either be written or oral. 

Employees who are in need of a military leave should notify their supervisors as well as contacting the benefits department by setting up an appointment by clicking here or send an email to

Employees who are entitled to military leave are not required to use paid time off to perform military service. If an employee wants to use their paid time off while on-duty, please, submit the request in writing to

Print page