Skip to the main content

Registration for fall classes is open! Register early for the best class selection. Attend class in person, virtually or both | Get started now

Worker's Compensation

Reporting Work-Related Injuries & Illnesses

An employee is provided coverage for lost wages and medical expenses that result from a job-related accident or illness in accordance with the Workers' Compensation laws of the State of Florida.  District Board of Trustees Policy 6Hx-18-5.07 "Illness in the Line of Duty Leave" allows regular and fixed-term employees up to five (5) days of compensation for absences due to on-the-job illnesses or injuries which are determined necessary by an approved certified workers' compensation physician.

Reporting Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses

If you need emergency medical assistance:

  • Inform you supervisor and Call 911
  • Supervisors must inform Campus Security.
  • Inform the emergency room staff that you sustained a workers' compensation injury.
  • You will need to be drug tested by the emergency room in accordance with Board Policy 6Hx-18-5.84 "Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace".
  • After being treated by the emergency room contact the Office of Human Resources at 868-3133 or 868-3134 for follow-up instructions.

If your injury does not require emergency medical assistance:

  • Contact your supervisor immediately and your Campus Security. All injuries are to be reported, even if medical treatment is not needed. If during normal business hours and you require medical treatment, you must have a referral from the Office of Human Resources to be seen by a certified Workers’ Compensation physician or facility. 

Injuries after hours and on the weekends:

  • If you need emergency medical attention, call 911 and inform your supervisor. Inform the emergency room staff of a workers’ comp injury.
  • If you do not need emergency medical care, visit your nearest MDNow and inform them of a worker's comp injury. Please follow up with the Office of human resources the following business day for additional instructions and to provide copies of any paperwork you were given during your visit with the WC physician.  
  •  Do not go to your personal physician as it will not be covered under workers' compensation.
  • You will be drug tested in accordance with Board Policy 6Hx-18-5.84"Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace".

After seeing the physician:

  • The doctor or facility will complete a form regarding your work status, restrictions and a follow up date (if necessary). Employees are responsible for providing a copy of any and all paperwork received. 

If the physician determines you are unable to work:

  • Only the Worker’s Compensation physician can determine if you are to be off work. The College pays for the first 5 days, known as Illness-In-Line-of-Duty Leave, that a full-time employee is off work due to an on-the-job injury/illness. Afterwards, Workers’ Compensation begins paying a percentage of the employee’s wages until he/she is returned to work. If an employee chooses to stay home without the doctor’s approval, they will need to utilize their own accrued time.


Worker's Compensation Contacts

Office of Human Resources
Olidmy Jeoboam  561-868-3133

Donna Agard 561-868-3134

Campus Security

Worker's Compensation Adjuster
Johns Eastern Company

Medical Bills (Emergency Room visits)
Johns Eastern Company
P.O. Box 110279
Lakewood Ranch, FL 34211

Print page