Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP)
An Essential Part of SACSCOC Reaffirmation
|SACSCOC||STRATEGIC PLAN||VIRTUAL FORUMS||CRITICAL THINKING||PROFESSIONAL LEARNING GROUPS|
WHAT IS A QEP?
A quality enhancement plan is a five-year plan to enhance student learning and/or success by focusing on a specific topic. It is required for continued accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
A college or university QEP must include clearly defined goals and outcomes and have an assessment plan to measure how well those goals and outcomes are accomplished.
Palm Beach State's 2022-2027 QEP will focus on Student Experience and Support!
Thank you to everyone that participated in the development and selection process for the College's next QEP. Opportunities for involvement exist throughout the development and implementation phases, so please join us as the College comes together to envision and craft our QEP.
This focus is an opportunity for the College to create relevant experiences for our students as they become vested members of our Panther community, identify and scale best practices already in place at the College, and create a cohesive experience for students. The College will organize and enrich resources with the goal of ensuring a positive, welcoming student experience. Engaging students early and providing connected, meaningful touchpoints will ensure that students feel that they are a part of the College and know what resources are available to them, which will lead to an improved success and increased retention rates. With a greater emphasis on Student Experience and Support, it is expected that over the course of the five-year plan, the College will develop a culture in which all College employees are engaged in helping students connect with the college, utilize resources, and meet their academic goals.
- Offer a comprehensive New Student Orientation program that informs and engages to help students acclimate to college life and feel that they belong. The college’s New Student Orientation is being refreshed college-wide to add more engaging, relevant information and to work within the parameters of Workday. If this proposal is selected, the changes may be in place prior to QEP implementation. While some changes in the orientation may be necessary if this proposal is selected, the opportunity with this QEP is to reinforce what students learn in orientation throughout their education and create a consistent, supportive student experience.
- Create an employee development program that focuses on Student Development Theory. Becoming more knowledgeable about the ways in which students learn, grow, and mature during college can help faculty, instructors, and staff understand students holistically, leading to more productive student interactions and more engaging academic and co-curricular activities.
- Enhance support for foundational gateway courses (ENC1101, MAT1033C, MAT1100) to help students pass the first time. Reorganizing existing resources and expanding online resources will boost students’ basic quantitative and communication skills will ensure students have the tools to be successful.
- Create a cohesive support network for students where faculty/instructors, advisors, and SLC staff can connect when a student is struggling in a class or off path. This would also create an opportunity for departments to collaborate to share resources and initiatives that exist across the institution, which could then be communicated to the students.
- Provide opportunities for students to build connections in Pathway-based academic and career communities, where students and relevant faculty/instructors/staff interact regularly to discuss on career opportunities, challenges students are facing, or open topics. Faculty and staff could partner with Student Activities to create targeted social and educational opportunities.
If you would like to be involved in crafting the QEP, please fill out the form below.
*Indicates required field
Top Proposal Refined in Virtual Forums and chosen in Online Vote
Focus on Student Experience and Support:
The College will organize and enrich resources with the goal of ensuring a positive, welcoming student experience. The QEP will be an opportunity for the College to think about what we want our students to experience as they become a member of our Panther community, identify and scale best practices already in place at the College, and create a cohesive experience for students. Engaging students early and providing connected, meaningful touchpoints will ensure that students feel that they are a part of the College and know what resources are available to them, which will lead to an improved success and increased retention rates.
From 2012-2017, Palm Beach State implemented its first QEP with a College-wide focus on critical thinking. Resources and virtual workshops developed for the QEP are available here.
Learn more about helping students develop and apply critical thinking skills with online and campus resources
Download the QEP Critical Thinking Guide
Professional Learning Groups offer participatory forums to investigate critical thinking as it applies to teaching, learning, and serving students.
The 2012-2017 summary, full QEP document, and reports may be viewed here.
QEP Contact Info
Erin E. Sullivan, QEP Manager