Student Trustee (2018 - 2019)
Shanice Guthrie, who is currently pursuing her Associate in Arts degree with a focus on philosophy and psychobiology, has a 4.0 GPA and is a member of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society and the Student Government Association on the Lake Worth campus.
She is the 18th student to serve in this position and attended her first District Board of Trustees meeting on Aug. 14, 2018 serving as the voice for the College’s nearly 49,000 students.
A native of Jamaica, Guthrie graduated from Royal Palm Beach High School in 2017 and lives in West Palm Beach.
She was chosen by a committee after an application and interview process that was open to all PBSC students with at least a 3.0 grade point average and at least 24 credit hours completed.
She was among 10 students who interviewed for the role.
Purpose of the Student Trustee
To provide a direct communication link from the student body to the District Board of Trustee on various issues affecting student life and to provide an enhanced leadership opportunity for a member of the student body.
The student trustee is an ex-officio, non-voting member of the Board selected by the Student Trustee Selection Committee through an interview process.
The student trustee serves for one year and may attend all meeting of the Board, except those exempt pursuant to the Florida "Sunshine Law.
Responsibilities of the Student Trustee
- Represent the student body on the Palm Beach State College (PBSC) District Board of Trustee (DBOT).
- Participate in identify an outstanding PBSC student for the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Leadership award.
- Interface with key Palm Beach County and State leaders.
- Serve on the Student Activities Service Fee Committee, the Marketing Advisory Committee and the Enrollment Management Steering Committee.
- Represent the student body on various college wide committees (schedule permitting).