FAB LAB: A Makerspace for Workforce Cross-collaboration
Big Idea Statement (Strategy)
By the Fall of 2026, PBSC will open its first FAB Lab, an interdisciplinary hub for students, faculty, industry leaders, and community members to explore experiential work opportunities and develop a culture of entrepreneurial excellence.
The center will provide postings for apprenticeships, externships, internships, mentorships, and job shadowing. It will also allow visitors to experiment with innovative technology and build the hands-on skills they need to succeed in our rapidly evolving workforce.
Overview of Key Tactics
- Teach faculty how to tie work-based learning into their courses and use the FAB LAB as a resource for their coursework.
- Develop a matchmaking process for students with different skill sets to partner on business initiatives.
- Use Lightcast Alumni Pathways data to create a report of available community internships, externships, apprenticeships, and other experiential work opportunities.
- Streamline the pathway maps to include stacked credentials and showcase them in the FAB LAB.
- Re-establish the leadership of partnership advisory councils/groups.
- Partner with Career Center to provide smooth transitions between workforce training and workforce entrance.
- Develop a marketing plan that makes PBSC’s workforce preparation a key element and showcases opportunities available within the FAB LAB.
- Employee Engagement and Satisfaction with the FAB Lab.
- Rating of Work Readiness and Entrepreneurial Mindset of Graduates.
- Engagement of Business Advisory Councils.
- Re-enrollment of Workforce Students.
- Rating of Academic and Technology Proficiency of Graduates.
- Completion rates for college credit certificates (66.7%), CCP certificates (64.1%), and apprenticeships (77.8%) are significantly higher than completion rates for AA (40.3%) and AS (27.6%) degrees at Palm Beach State College according to the 2019 FDOE Graduation Rate Survey.
- Barbara Cipriano, M.S.
- Kimberly Lea, Ed.S.