Upward Bound (UB)
Get an early start on the path to college
What is Upward Bound?
Upward Bound at Palm Beach State College is a year-round, college preparatory program for students who attend John I. Leonard, Palm Beach Lakes and Lake Worth high schools.
It provides tutoring and other support to help students succeed academically in high school and prepare for success in college. Students typically are recruited in the 9th grade, and they are encouraged to remain in the program until they graduate from high school.
Upward Bound includes two components:
- Saturday Tutoring is available the first and third Saturdays of the month from October - April from
8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Students recieve a free lunch after each Saturday session.
Tutoring is provided in reading, writing, study skills, math, science and other subjects
based upon students' needs and high school schedule.
Summer Academic Component
- Six-week summer component is held Monday through Friday starting the first week of June. For the first five
weeks, students attend classes from 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 pm. Subject areas are determined
based upon students’ needs and their high school class schedules. Students receive
a free lunch daily. After lunch, from 1:30 - 5 p.m., students participate in scheduled
activities, including workshops with guest speakers and sporting events. Fridays are
reserved for either cultural trips or field project assignments. Students are expected
to attend daily for the entire day, and they are responsible for their own transportation
to the Lake Worth campus. For the sixth week, students go on college tours throughout
Florida where they have an opportunity to explore campuses, learn about the programs
offerings and student activities and ask questions regarding enrollment eligibility,
financial aid and other college matters.
Additional Services include:
- SAT/ACT Prep
- Academic Advising
- Education or Counseling Services to improve
financial and economic literacy
- Assistance with applying for admission to a
- Referral services to community agencies
- Student Leadership Training/Workshops
Do I Qualify?
To qualify for Upward Bound students must:
- Be a U.S. citizen/national or permanent resident of the United States.
- Be a potential first-generation college student (this means neither parent can be a four-year college graduate)
- Demonstrate a need for academic support based on a current GPA of between 2.0 and 3.0.
- Have parent/guardian whose income meets specific guidelines.
How to Apply
Students must complete Part A of the application thoroughly and include the Essay. Students must also sign and date all appropriate pages.
Parent/guardian must complete Part B of the application, sign and date all appropriate pages.
- Copy of student’s Social Security card
- Copy of student’s birth certificate
- Copy of latest signed parent/guardian’s income
- Copy of current student report card
- Completed counselor’s recommendation form.
Once you get the application and have completed it, you can do one of the following:
- Fax it to 561-868-3394
- Call for appointment at 561-868-3070 or 561-868-3071 when application and documents are ready.
|Roselle W. Ceasar||Post-Secondary Advisoremail@example.com||561-868-3071|
|Adrene King||Administrative Asst IIfirstname.lastname@example.org||561-868-3070|