Upward Bound (UB)
Get an early start on the path to college
|EDUCATION OPPORTUNITY CENTERS (EOC)||STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES (SSS)||STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES VETERANS(SSSV)||TALENT SEARCH (TS)||UPWARD BOUND (UB)||THE CENTER FOR STUDENT ACCESSIBILITY (CSA)|
What is Upward Bound (UB)?
Upward Bound at Palm Beach State College is a year-round, college preparatory program for students who attend John I. Leonard, Palm Beach Lakes and Lake Worth high schools.
It provides tutoring and other support to help students succeed academically in high school and prepare for success in college. Students typically are recruited in the 9th grade, and they are encouraged to remain in the program until they graduate from high school.
Upward Bound includes two components:
- Virtual Saturday Classes & Tutoring are available the first and third Saturdays of the month from October - April from 8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Virtual Classes & Tutoring are provided in reading, writing, study skills, math, science
and other subjects based upon students' needs, career goals and high school schedule.
Summer Academic Component
- Six-week summer component is held Monday through Friday starting the second week of June.
- During this time students attend virtual classes from 8:30 a.m. - 1:00 pm.
- From 1:45 - 4:30 p.m., students participate in scheduled activities, including workshops with guest speakers and sporting events.
- Fridays are reserved for field project assignments.
- Students are expected to attend daily for the entire day.
- Students will have an opportunity to virtually explore college campuses of their choice.
Additional Services include:
- SAT/ACT Prep
- Academic Advising
- Education or Counseling Services to improve
financial and economic literacy
- Assistance with applying for admission to a
- Referral services to community agencies
- Student Leadership Training/Workshops
Do I Qualify?
To qualify for Upward Bound students must:
- Be a U.S. citizen/national or permanent resident of the United States.
- Be a potential first-generation college student (this means neither parent can be a four-year college graduate)
- Demonstrate a need for academic support based on a current GPA of between 2.0 and 3.0.
- Have parent/guardian whose income meets specific guidelines.
How to Apply
- Copy of student’s Social Security card
- Copy of student’s birth certificate
- Copy of latest signed parent/guardian’s income
- Copy of current student report card
- Completed counselor’s recommendation form.
Update/Change your Personal Information Form
Student, Parent(s), Guardian(s) use the update form to inform us on any changes to your personal information. Have questions or concerns, Upward Bound contact information is listed below.
|Lissette Patterson||Post-Secondary Advisorfirstname.lastname@example.org||561-868-3071|
|Whitney Petit-Bien||Administrative Asst IIemail@example.com||561-868-3070|