Skip to the main content

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I apply for a Field Placement assignment?

A: You must follow the process outlined in the Field Observation Student Guide, and a) submit a placement request form with your student teacher badge to obtain placement in a SDPBC public school OR b) follow the location requirements of selected locations (Private, Charter or Other County - Broward, Hendry, etc.) listed on Other Field Observation Opportunities.

Q: How do I know when I have security clearance to be placed at a public school?

A: Your Student Teacher Security Badge will be mailed to you in an envelope that you will fill-out at the time of the fingerprinting and background check. To save time, you may also ask for the Fingerprinting and Badge office to call you when they receive your badge.

Q: What happens if I do not get cleared by the School District Police?

A: The School District Police will send you a notification explaining the cause and it is strongly recommended that you seek further advice to try to resolve the issues because without a police clearance it would be almost impossible to continue on to teaching.

Q: Once I have my Student Teacher badge, how do I secure my Palm Beach County public school classroom assignment?

A: You must complete an online placement form and submit it along with a copy of your Student Teacher badge.  Academic Services submits your request to the School District Pre-Service Placement Office.  They in turn, notify Academic Services of your school assignment.  Academic Services then notifies you through your PBSC email address of this assignment and outlines the next steps to take in order to secure a classroom assignment. 

Q: Once I am notified of my field observation assignment, what should I do?

A: Make contact with the ESP Contact (assistant principal) indicated in your notification email within a day or two.  They have been notified of your assignment and are waiting to match you up with a classroom teacher.  Email the contact and follow-up with a phone call.  If you do not hear from them in a day or two, go to the school and make an appointment to meet with the contact (generally, it is an assistant principal of the school.) You will need to fill out and sign the documents in the Pre-Service Program Packet which you will take to the school you were assigned for placement. When you arrive at the school, you will need to sign-in and then sign-out when you leave.  Schools run on a very tight schedule and so do teachers and administrators. Respect their rules.

Q: What if I am unable to keep a scheduled appointment?

A: You should always call the school and let the assistant principal contact know or leave a message for the teacher. Remember if you make a good impression, that school may be your next employer.

Q: Do I have to adhere to the school's dress code when reporting for Field observation at the schools.

A. Most definitely yes! You want to project yourself as a professional so dress appropriately. Leave the jeans, sweat pants, leggings (unless worn with a long shirt or tunic), baggy pants, pants that hang low revealing underwear, shorts, sleeveless shirts, halters, crop tops, t-shirts, sandals, flip flops and any flashy jewelry at home. Also, any attire that distracts from the classroom environment.

Q. Do I have to get new fingerprints if I am currently employed by the School District?

A. No. But you do need to submit a copy of your Level 2 Student Teacher Security Badge with your Online Placement Request Form. Employees who have been cleared as employees can use that clearance to secure a field placement Student Teacher badge. You will need to submit a badge renewal form, to SDPBC Fingerprinting Office and pay a $6 renewal fee* (money order or online credit card pre-payment, or in person with a VISA/MasterCard debit/credit card) and show your current employee badge to obtain the Student Teacher badge.  Generally, the student teacher badge will be issued at that time (Renewals can be issued while you wait.  During the fall term with the high demand for new security badges, you may be asked to complete a return envelope and the badge will be mailed to you or have the office call you when they receive your badge).

*For employees that have not had a background check in five years, the School District resubmits the fingerprints for an updated background check.  In this case, the employee pays $19.25 + $6.00 for a total of $25.25.  (Money order or pre-pay at *SDPBC School Cash Online Credit Card Pre-payment or in person with a VISA/MasterCard debit/credit card) 
*If you choose to pre-pay with a debit/credit card (VISA/MC) via School Cash Online, you must pay 24 hours in advance and bring your receipt for proof of payment.

Q. Do I need to go through fingerprinting and background check if I am a dual enrollment (high school) student enrolled in these classes?

A. Yes. Dual Enrolled/Early Admission students must complete the same Fingerprinting Process as all other students do.  They then submit an online placement request form along with a copy of their school ID.  

Should you have additional questions, please visit:

Print page