The 2020-2021 Faculty Handbook provides information for all Palm Beach State College Faculty.
Download Faculty Handbook in PDF format.
The Faculty Handbook includes information on the following topics:
- Message from the Vice President of Academic Affairs
- General Information - Strategic Plan, Vision, Mission & Values
- Academic Calendars
- Pillars of Instructional Excellence
- Student Issues or Concerns
- Before Classes Begin
- Attendance Reporting
- While Classes are in Progress
- Instructional Materials
- As Classes End
- Resources for New Faculty & Program Instructors
- E-Learning (Distance Learning)
- Academic Issues & Procedures
- Campus Information
Questions? Please email Cyndi C. Demitruk
Faculty & Instructors are encouraged to add the Compliance Calendar to your Outlook Calendar. Follow these steps to ensure deadlines are not missed:
- In the Outlook Calendar, click on the Home Tab.
- Click on Add Calendar, and then click on From Address Book.
- Type “Compliance” in the search bar, and “Compliance – Calendar” will populate in Calendar box below, and then click “OK.”
Faculty Home Page Utility
For Faculty Home Pages, please note the following:
- Accessing the Faculty Home Page - Login to www.palmbeachstate.edu/EmployeeWeb and select Faculty Home Page Utility.
- Tutorials and Instructions - View a video tutorial and Adobe PDF Instructions on how to use the Faculty Home Page Utility. In addition, there are Instructional Design Technology Workshops being offered for faculty and staff.
- Priority Posting the Syllabus - Your first priority is to upload your syllabus for the upcoming term according to the Syllabus Posting Deadlines. PBSC has adopted Simple Syllabus; a centralized, template-driven platform that enables instructors to quickly personalize
and publish interactive class syllabi. You may upload your syllabus using the Simple Syllabus Tutorial.
- Faculty Home Page - After that you may build out the Faculty Home Page with your information. If your
department or discipline has standards on what should be included, please follow them.
- Photo Display Options – You may choose to display your PantherNet ID picture or choose not to display any
photo. If you wish to have your ID picture retaken, please see your PantherCard representative
at your campus.
- Posting Deadlines - Syllabus Posting Deadlines, we will monitor compliance and report back to Deans, Associate Deans, Directors
and Department Chairs.
- Link to your Faculty Web Page – If you reference the link to your faculty home page in your syllabus or in notes
on classes in PantherNet, please know that the links will need to be updated. The
link is displayed at the address bar of your web browser when you have your faculty
- These guidelines apply to both Full-Time and Adjunct Faculty.
Mid-Term Grading Procedure
In order to maintain Palm Beach State College's commitment to student success, the
Mid-Term Grading Tool (web based tool) was developed to give faculty an efficient
way to assign mid-term grades. Faculty are required to advise students of their mid--term grade, to keep the student informed on their
progress. Mid-Term grades can be delivered electronically or in writing or any other
delivery method as long it is FERPA compliant. Students mid-term grade MAY NOT be
When faculty enter the mid-term grade, the grade is emailed to the student via the student's College issued email address (@my.palmbeachstate.edu). The web tool gives a two-week window in which mid-term grades may be entered. Mid-Term grades are not stored nor used in to calculate the student's grade point average. Faculty are not allowed to publically post student names, student ID's and grades.
|Term||Session 1||Session 2||Session 3*||Session 4|
*(2021-1 Fall 12-Week Courses - Session Code CR12) & (2021-2 Spring 12-Week Courses - Session Code 12WK). Please note dates are subject to change.
Accessing the Mid-Term Grading Tool
- The mid-term grading tool is located by signing on to the www.palmbeachstate.edu/EmployeeWeb with your User ID and Password that you use for your email.
- The mid-term grading tool is located under the Faculty/Advisor Tab, labeled Mid-Term Grades. It is the second item in the pull-down box.
- Faculty shall assign letter grades as outlined in which is most appropriate. Grades are automatically emailed to students once the window closes.
*ARTICLE XIV MID-TERM GRADE PROCEDURE
Section A: Within one week after the close of the mid-term grading period, mid-term grades will be made available to all students for each class that the teaching bargaining unit member teaches by either written notification or individual conference - Agreement between the District Board of Trustees of Palm Beach State College and the United Faculty of Palm Beach State College.
Online Teaching Modules
The League for Innovation, funded through a National Science Foundation grant, has produced a set of six modules on improving teaching skills
From the website:
Welcome & Overview to Getting Results. Whether you're a new or experienced teacher, you have a chance to make an impact
on the future of the country. How can you be as effective as possible? This multimedia
resource for community college faculty will challenge your previous thinking about
teaching and learning and give you the basic tools for effective classroom practice.
The key theme of the course is to encourage you to focus on what the students will
do and take responsibility for their success. Teachers know their content and they
know how to explain. These are valuable skills. But teachers have to become experts
at tapping into their students' knowledge base and how they learn.
Below are the links to the website and each of the six modules:
Getting Results: A Professional Development Course for Community College Educators Overview: How to Take This Course
- Module 1: Creating a Community of Learners
- Module 2: Planning for Outcomes
- Module 3: Active Teaching and Learning
- Module 4: Moving Beyond the Classroom
- Module 5: Teaching with Technology
- Module 6: Assessing Teaching and Learning
- Academic Services Information & Reference
- Adjunct Faculty Resources
- Class Roster & Grading Information
- Course & Program Contact List
- Course Outlines - Course Search
- Curriculum & Programs