Sabbatical Application Process
Sabbatical leave is for instructional faculty, counselors, and librarians. The sabbatical application is sent electronically to the VPAA. The VPAA convenes a committee (five faculty and one administrator who acts as committee chair) to review applications and recommends to the VPAA those to be considered for sabbaticals.
Applications may be for either one term, fall or winter, funded at full salary; or two terms, funded at 75% salary. More details can be found in the Faculty Agreement, Article XXVII, Section I.
Sabbatical Application Requirements
The following guidelines for sabbatical leave have been established for instructional faculty, counselors and librarians.
- Sabbatical leave may be granted for the purpose of travel or professional academic advancement.
- Not more than two percent (2%) of the full-time instructional faculty, counselors or librarians, in the aggregate, shall be on sabbatical leave during one fiscal year.
- Eligible employees are those who are in or beyond the seventh continuous year of full-time employment at the College. Once an employee has been awarded a Sabbatical Leave, an additional seven years of full-time service must accrue before that employee is eligible for a second Sabbatical Leave.
- An employee on sabbatical leave may request one term of leave with one hundred percent (100%) of full pay, or two terms with seventy-five percent (75%) of full pay.
- a. Those applying for sabbatical leave must, by December 1, submit to the Sabbatical Leave Committee a written outline of his/her plans, which shall show the benefit to be derived from his/her leave by the instructional program of the College. b. When a sabbatical leave is taken, a written report must be completed and submitted to the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- An employee who is granted sabbatical leave must return to Palm Beach State College for one contractual year of service following such leave, or he/she will be required to repay to the College any salary paid to him while on leave. Exception to this rule may be made if both the College and the person agree to the exception. Should the person who is granted a sabbatical leave not be able to proceed with the plans for which the sabbatical leave was awarded, he/she must return to the campus for duty.
- Sabbatical leave does not obviate any fringe benefits (except sick leave and annual leave) and shall begin on the first duty day of the term for which it is granted, unless the recipient requests and receives approval otherwise.
- A Sabbatical Leave Committee shall be created and appointed by the President or his designee. Any action or recommendation of the Committee will be advisory to the President.
Sabbatical Applications will not be accepted for 2021-2022.
Sabbatical Application Process and Forms
- Sabbatical application
- Sample sabbatical application
- Scoring rubric for application
- Sabbatical report (to be completed at the end of sabbatical)
Sabbatical Application Timeline
- October - Announcement by email to instructional faculty, counselors, and librarians of availability of sabbatical leave for next academic year.
- December 1 - Sabbatical Leave applications are due to the VPAA office - ONLY ELECTRONIC APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- December 5 - Sabbatical Leave Committee convenes, views applications, and sends recommendations to the VPAA. The VPAA recommends to the President for approval.
- January - Faculty, counselors, and/or librarians (Deans, Associate Deans, and Provosts) are notified if their sabbatical application was approved.
Sabbatical Award Recipients
2021-2022 - No sabbatical leaves were awarded
2020-2021 - No sabbatical leaves were awarded.
2013-2014 - No sabbatical leaves were awarded
2012-2013 - No sabbatical leaves were awarded
2011-2012 - No sabbatical leaves were awarded
2010-2011 - No sabbatical leaves were awarded
2009-2010 - No sabbatical leaves were awarded
2008-2009 - No sabbatical leaves were awarded